bonfire night

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

Don't know about you lot , I'm sat outside fire watching shivering my nuts off , my neighbours at five to night had a lorry load of old timber delivered It's about 20 meters away from my workshop there bonfire has been lit which at this moment has flames about 6 -7 m coming off the top of it :twisted: :twisted: and sparks flying evrywhere. grr .hc

hi

no it not pratts , but i can't say it here , mindless ,empty space between there ears the entire family don't give a dung about no one, or anything , never entered there heads what itwould cost to rebuild my shop , i dread to thing what it would cost now to replace, lucky for me tonight a gentle breeze blowing away from the shop all sparks going away in the other direction :D : :D :D . hc

And the destruction of your shop wouldn't be their fault, 'cos it was the wind what dun it!'

Roy.

Not a bad idea under the circumstances, but certain neighbours would consider that interference with their enjoyment I'd guess.

Roy.

hi all

worst is over now , :lol: :lol: it's now decided to start raining, yippee just enough to send them in doors, hee hee i love it , fire is dying down now at last . hc :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is your workshop made of paper? You were probably worrying for nothing
unless large embers were being carried and landing still glowing and even then only if you recently doused the shop in petrol.

hi

are you a fire expert then , the bonfire was huge and from that distants i was more worried about the heat being given off from the fire (combustion) with a GRB fibre glass roof & any possible wind change direction, if that had happened, it would have been like a huge blow torch being directed straight at the cable end of the work shop, even if it hadn't atually ignited it certianly would have ruined the GRB fibre glass roof , which is bloody expensive. whilst i was out there the cable end was warm to touch , lucky for me the wind was in the right direction. hc

head clansman":m1qrf3wi said:
hi

are you a fire expert then , the bonfire was huge and from that distants i was more worried about the heat being given off from the fire (combustion) with a GRB fibre glass roof & any possible wind change direction, if that had happened, it would have been like a huge blow torch being directed straight at the cable end of the work shop, even if it hadn't atually ignited it certianly would have ruined the GRB fibre glass roof , which is bloody expensive. whilst i was out there the cable end was warm to touch , lucky for me the wind was in the right direction. hc

Yeah pretty much Martin. I certainly set a few. 20 metres so about 60' in old money :lol: If you were that worried why didn't you just run the hose on your shop?
Warm to the touch eh? Any decent day in the summer your roof gets hot enough to burn your hands on :shock:

hi

sound like the local fire brigade and council officers slopping shoulders , who when called out last year to a fire hazard dumped directly up against my boundry fence which is a meter from the rear of my shop , heaps of old tree cutting and garden refuge ( now since remmoved ) nothing we can do what people dump in there garden nothing to do with us , huh, ring us when it ignites, to bloody late then time that lot get here. hc :x

hi tom

I did have the hose out and my fire extinguishers ready , but come on a hose pipe against the the size of those flames if the wind had changed direction ( but thank god it didn't ) it would have been like me pissing into the english channel to trying to fill it up . who do think would have won hc :lol: :lol:

head clansman":16b1sdkx said:
hi tom

I did have the hose out and my fire extinguishers ready , but come on a hose pipe against the the size of those flames if the wind had changed direction ( but thank god it didn't ) it would have been like me pissing into the english channel to trying to fill it up . who do think would have won hc :lol: :lol:

It would depend on what kind of beer you were drinking at the time :lol:

Grinding One":4r1pprn9 said:
head clansman":4r1pprn9 said:
hi tom

It would depend on what kind of beer you were drinking at the time :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have just seen this thread and I would like to say that as I am very probably the only one on this forum who has a long background in the fire "industry", especially where firefighting is concerned, that I do not think HC over-reacted.
His workshop would not need to be made of paper or doused in petrol for it to ignite.
Flying brands only need to lodge in the "right place" with the wind in the "right" direction and the possibility is there.
Just because it seems unlikely does not mean it can't happen. It is complacency like that that leads to many fires.

Maybe HC was worrying a little too much but I applaud him for doing what he did.

Apart from that I hate fireworks and what they can do. Fireworks killed two of my colleagues by way of a huge explosion and that is all the reason I need to suggest that they have no place in the hands of the public......ever!

There......that's better!

SF

Yeah what with his "cable end" becoming warm to the touch and the highly flammable "GRB" roof it must sureley have been like a scene from Towering Inferno :lol: I expect the intervening fences are all charred too.

hi all

Maybe HC was worrying a little too much but I applaud him for doing what he did

My workshop is some 8m *4.5m *3.5 m all timber construction with a GRB fibre glass roof as seen in my blog.

worried yes , over worried no , as i said my neigbours are the sort who don't give a dung about anything or anybody else.

the bonfire arrive in the back of two lorries , size wise when constructed it was i would say about 25 ft dia by about 8-9 ft high before it was lite , once underway the flames must have been in access of 7m high the sort you would go to an organized bonfire not one normal people light in there back garden .

It didn't bother me they had a bonfire but the shear size of it did, luckily that night a slight breeze was blowing away from the workshop but it was still being covered with small sparks , the flame mostly wear vertical , but if there had been a slight wind change and those flames had gone horizontal even for a few seconds it would have been like a blow torch being directed straight at the cable end of my workshop only approx 15-20m away .

Now my main concern was the GRB roof not so much it actually catching fire but warping all shapes from the heat radiating out from there inferno, but bear in mind if the wind had changed direction my shop would have ingnited as well, now a shop of the size mentioned if it had ingnited a simple hose would not have put it out by the time the fire brigade would take to get there, the blaze from my shop would make there bonfire look very silly, now the heat from that would have Ignited my house as well +other neighbors . Mind boggling , so yes i was worried, to get them to pay for it if it had gone wrong what do you think my chances would have been :?: . thank god it never happened. hc

Back