Bob Gets a New Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobscarle wrote:
...snip..
I have been looking at insulation. I have used fibreglass in the past but it seems that the smallest thickness is 100mm ...snipp... Does anybody have any experience with insulation and could offer an opinion?...snip...

I used 50mm slabs of Rockwool in the wall space, available from your local builders merchants. Very good stuff, easily cut to size with a sharp kitchen knife - Rob

A little update on progress

The shed is finished (as far as the kit of parts that arrived is concerned). I now have power (lots of sockets) and lights. I was given a double glazed window by my brother and I bought a second one for a tenner off ebay. They are now fitted as you can see.

shed6.jpg

I even made a windowsill to hold the important things like a mug of tea.
shed7.jpg

I have made two fairly simple cabinets to sit the mitre saw and the thicknesser on. The cabinets are on locking casters so they can be moved around. When locked they do not move in use.
shed8.jpg

Unfortunately insulating the walls will have to wait a few months while the bank balance recovers. I hope this will be in time for the winter.

Looking good Bob

What a fantastic excuse for a new shed, out grown the garage. She didn't see that comming did she.

I mean 16x8 workshop. Even my wife would have worked out that's the same size as a single garage.

GJ

Bob, double glazing in the workshop - good job. The windows are different sizes so did you cut one of the holes yourself or just enlarge an existing one?

Andy

Andy, You are right the windows are different sizes. The far one, shown in the second picture, was the easiest. All I had to do was enlarge the existing window opening. I put a new piece under the window and pieces to each side.

The other window is taller but not as wide. This meant that the opening had to be made considerably taller but I had about 800mm to the side to fill in. I made a new frame to fit the window and used the boards that I had cut out from the two windows to board the opening, it actually worked out quite well.

Double glazing in the shed is done more for security than any other reason, although the extra draught proofing in the winter will be appreciated. These windows will be a lot harder to break in through than the thin plastic windows supplied. For the same reason, my next job will be the doors. I would like to keep the double doors but have something much stronger and more secure.

BTW, I had a talk to the local "Crime Risk Manager" (yes, that is what the Crime Prevention Officer is called now). He had a number of good ideas for security including fitting a concreted floor anchor and marking tools with a "Smart Water" pen. He sent me 2 booklets and several web links.

Bob

any chance of posting the web links on security i am abit concerned now my tool collection is starting to get bigger
cheers

Hi Geordie

Geordie Joiner":1tpd3b12 said:
I mean 16x8 workshop. Even my wife would have worked out that's the same size as a single garage.

I don't thnk it's the same if it's in metres. :wink:

Mind you, if Bob got away with that I'd want him to speak to the LOML.

Cheers
Neil

Back