Hello from York, new woodworker.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, just a quick introduction from myself.

I turned 60 in June and my wife suggested that I try woodworking. My other hobby is metal detecting (I have a channel on that well know video platform), but that hobby involves a lot of walking and I already do plenty of that being a postie. It's actually quite nice just being able to walk out of the back door and into my shed (I feel a bit pretentious calling it a workshop at this point).;)

I've got myself some power tools so far, table saw, mitre saw, sander, drills etc, but just last week I was given 3 woodcarving gouges by a very kind chap and I have to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed using them to date.

Next week we have an electrician coming over, so soon I'll have proper electric points and lighting n the shed. I can't wait! That said, I'll still need to line the shed with plywood before it's ready.

Thanks for having me.

Andy

Welcome Andy.

If you're completely new to woodworking do take care with the table saw; they sit in a corner all day plotting ways to harm you!
Thanks sploo, yes I do respect (more fear) that tool more than any other. :)

Welcome to the forum and the hobby, Andy. It's a friendly place so don't hesitate to post questions or whatnot.

Hi Andy, welcome and to echo previous posts the table saw is your best friend but with no warning whatsoever it can turn on you without mercy. But woodworking will allow you to let your creative side grow. Enjoy and don’t fear the t/saw respect it at all times .

Welcome Andy.

If you're completely new to woodworking do take care with the table saw; they sit in a corner all day plotting ways to harm you!
With around 60 thousand accidents involving circular saws in the US per annum!
You betcha!

Big difference in the way European's use their machines compared,
and it ain't just riving knives!

Welcome to the forum Andy.

Tom

Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice re the table saw. Only last week while out on my rounds, someone told me that his neighbour's hand had slipped while using his table saw. He's made a mess of 4 fingers.

Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice re the table saw. Only last week while out on my rounds, someone told me that his neighbour's hand had slipped while using his table saw. He's made a mess of 4 fingers.
Yep. I'd recommend looking into videos and articles on kickback, and make sure you avoid things like running wide thin stock against a fence (as it can twist), don't trap thin stock between the blade and the fence (use a short/ripping fence that stops just before the blade). Definitely use push sticks to keep your fingers well away from the blade (think 3" distance absolute minimum). Never remove the riving knife, and try not to stand in the line of fire (where the blade can throw stock back at you).

A well tuned table saw is a joy to use, but they can't half do you some damage.

Thanks again sploo. I've watched copious amounts of videos on YouTube and I can appreciate why extreme care is needed, you can't be too cautious. (y)

Copious amounts of using tablesaws the European way?
I think not!
Well if you have happened some good UK tablesaw users demonstrating, I'd like to know.
Steve Maskery would be one youtuber.

One can basically discount anything without a crown or SUVA guard,
as even the handy tips need to be done differently with the guard involved.

Push sticks 450mm long minimum, as those "shoe" designs are far far too short.
No hands going near or past the blade.
Bandsawing is much safer and less dusty.

Tom

Copious amounts of using tablesaws the European way?
I think not!
Well if you have happened some good UK tablesaw users demonstrating, I'd like to know.
Steve Maskery would be one youtuber.

One can basically discount anything without a crown or SUVA guard,
as even the handy tips need to be done differently with the guard involved.

Push sticks 450mm long minimum, as those "shoe" designs are far far too short.
No hands going near or past the blade.
Bandsawing is much safer and less dusty.

Tom
Actually no, most are from the US. I'll look up Steve Maskeey. Thanks.

Thanks sploo, yes I do respect (more fear) that tool more than any other. :)
The difference between fear and respect is your understanding.
Do not fear,( fear comes from ignorance ) but do respect ( respect comes from knowledge ).
Basically, keep your fingers out of the way - you will score 10 / 10 ( fingers that is )
Now you can play with confidence and enjoy the learning that every tool provides - for those who will listen and feel.

Last edited:
Back