Boat building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

A friend approached yesterday about building a small sailing boat. Something like a Cornish clinker. I'm not a sailor and have no experience whatsoever, but I do like the idea. So, any advice on where to start? I have of course already taken to the internet, but would appreciate any knowledge from you guys especially anyone with experience of actually building one.

Cheers, Froggy.

Hi Froggy

Yes have had major hand in building a boat. Cold moulded hull with cedar strip on mahogany frames with 2.8mm mahogany outer veneer. Not heard of a Cornish clinker but there is a Cornish Crabber which I think is clinker construction.

For cold moulded construction this is pretty much essential reading http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/How ... 061205.pdf

It's a big undertaking. If you get out of your depth on a furniture build at worst you're down a hundred or so quid on materials and a dent to your pride. A boat can be several thousands in materials and it's physical presence makes it a roadblock to getting on with your life.

I live in a sailing community on the Solent, the yacht club notice boards are full of, "part finished project, quick sale needed". They rarely get a quick sale and if they do it's by virtually giving it away.

I guess what I'm saying is that before starting be confident you've got everything it takes to reach the finish line.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input guys. Custard I take your warning on board, but I have a couple of advantages in that I have a large barn at the side of my workshop that would be dedicated to solely to this project, so it won't get in my way, and the friend who suggested this is also funding it and helping with the build, plus there is no time limit. Having said all that I won't start the project without doing the research and planning (including a budget). And even if the project doesn't get finished it will have been a learning curve, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Their building a 'simple' boat on the tips from a shipwright channel on YouTube, it's a multi part series - I'll never build a boat but I'm finding it very interesting.

Froggy":ifxmm3m2 said:
Cheers Hanser, book ordered.

Well done - it's a good investment. I sail a 6 ton Hillyard built in 1952 and every now and again I refer to the book to understand general construction points. Don't be disappointed with the 60's feel - paperback and line drawings - the content is rich.

Looking forward to the WIP thread :)

Hanser - I am going to document the build and do WIP for the forum, but I think we will spend the winter researching, sourcing materials and tools and general prep work before actually starting the build in Spring. So it will be a while yet.

The timescale is appreciated. A fair amount of the cost of any boat is in the mast/saills etc. Perhaps a look out on Ebay/Auboncon for a rig that could be adapted to the design you eventually choose.

hanser":368n2jt1 said:
The timescale is appreciated. A fair amount of the cost of any boat is in the mast/saills etc. Perhaps a look out on Ebay/Auboncon for a rig that could be adapted to the design you eventually choose.

And keel. The boat I was involved in the keel was a big issue and the hull design had to be adapted to fit what was available. Sourced ours from this firm http://www.ironsbrothers.com/

Hanser - Is there a ratio boat length to mast size? Or is there a specific sail size for a specific type of boat? I'm trying to figure out how we determine the mast/sail size?
Beau - I was thinking about making the a wooden keel. Is this foolish? Is it common practice to buy a ready made keel and build around it?

Froggy":he3jeumf said:
Beau - I was thinking about making the a wooden keel. Is this foolish? Is it common practice to buy a ready made keel and build around it?

All depends on displacement and rig size. I am no boat designer and had no hand in that side of things I am afraid. I know the boat me and dad made had a very light hull and large rig. To balance this we needed a heavy keel in the form of a lump of cast iron from a 28 foot moody. A smallish day boat with a small rig might have a wooden keel like dinghies do but it might be best with some glass or carbon reinforcement.

Water Craft magazine is good, bi-monthly with free plans in each issue. I have no experience of clinker construction, but Vendia marine plank may be an option worth looking into. http://www.vendia.fi

Back