Boat building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First boat I made was a 16ft carvel hull I used in the estuary. second and third were starting from bare shell mouldings (from Colvic) 19ft 6" and 28ft 6"

buying a hull saves a lot of time (may be years) cutting the wood to fit and bond will be interesting. A good jigsaw will be very useful. For laminating forms I found using a planar blade in a power hand circular saw gave a good finish for gluing.
Instead of carvel, a friend of mine built a boat using edge nailed curved mouldings glued together. About 2" x 1.25" with one convex surface and one concave.. I was impressed by the ease and strength of this system although never used it myself.

Froggy":2tms5irx said:
P
Out of interest would you rather see the WIP at regular intervals or in one go when it's (hopefully!) finished? And that question is open to everyone.
Regular updates would be great.

"a friend of mine built a boat using edge nailed curved mouldings glued together. About 2" x 1.25" with one convex surface and one concave.. I was impressed by the ease and strength of this system although never used it myself.
"
Cedar strip like the one on the left? http://www.robbins.co.uk/marine/cedar_strip.asp

We used the profile on the right but much thinner but overlaid with Kaya mahogany

Been helping my father lift out his boat this morning so took some pictures. The boat is now 13 years old from completion and needs a bit of TLC. Neither of us had any major experience of boat building before building her but it's not rocket science and just needs time and care and a little bit of know how which is easy to come by these days.

Attachments

• IMG_20161010_112048.jpg
    IMG_20161010_112048.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161010_112105.jpg
    IMG_20161010_112105.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161010_124310.jpg
    IMG_20161010_124310.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161010_111855.jpg
    IMG_20161010_111855.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20161010_111846.jpg
    IMG_20161010_111846.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 34
Froggy":1ra6r245 said:
WOW Beau, she's beautiful. What a credit to you. Just goes to show what is possible, but we won't be anything like that ambitious. Did you keep any record of the build?

I can't take the credit for the bulk of the build. It's my father baby from the design stage but he has no background in woodworking prior to this apart from home DIY. I would describe myself as technical director and trouble shooter during the build making the more complicated parts and any machining required. He does have a few pictures but none in the digital domain I am afraid. If there is anything specific you want to see I can probably take a picture from the album and photograph but obviously the quality would not be very good.

Well it's a credit to both of you. There was nothing specific I wanted to see, I was just curious as I intend to log as much as possible and it struck me that if I am going to keep a record wouldn't others who have done the same thing, and wouldn't that be useful if I could get my hands on something like that!

Back