Bloq - makers rent space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it has some mileage for buisnesses that cant afford premises in todays sky rocketing rents but seriously the smallest space is 2m x 3.4m at £36 a day, call that £252 a week. It sure isnt for hobbyists!
When i started out back in 84 i had a workshop 30m x 6.4m for £35 a week!

I suppose it has some mileage for buisnesses that cant afford premises in todays sky rocketing rents but seriously the smallest space is 2m x 3.4m at £36 a day, call that £252 a week. It sure isnt for hobbyists!
I'm not sure it's meant to replace business premises, I think they expect people to block book days on a pay as you go basis, not permanent location of the business. Yes they offer longer terms but I suspect the price comes down with that commitment to their overheads. Also, that £36 gives access to more than just floor space and has value in accessing high end machinery during that tenure. Also the workshops have airlines, work benches and the usual electrics and proper lighting.

I just checked and in my town, there's currently an industrial unit for rent, 12 x 10m. Rent is £20k / year excluding VAT, council rates, utilities etc. It's not in the greatest part of town but you also get a couple of parking spaces.

That bloq place looks like an absolute steal, fulltime with a discount you're looking at 10k / year with no rates, utilities or big machinery to buy / maintain and the machinery you get access to is way beyond what you could fit into a 12x10m workshop. You also get the advantage of being around other people all day for assistance / friendship rather than working on your own

Most of the shared workspace places here are started by well capitalized groups (meaning they have a lot of capital behind them to figure out what they're doing before they have to be profitable).

I think they'll need it, and will go through it. We'll see what that space is in 5 years if they don't literally have cut rates for longer term renters.

The shared office space places here cater to salespeople, but their capital costs to start and rosy ideas that a large percentage of the population would love to sit in a space that they don't own all day....

Sure i like the idea of all that lovely machinery that you get access to but the comment "You can always borrow each others tools", Hmm i wonder how that works, in my experience usually in wailing & gnashing of teeth!

here in Calgary we have a makerspace of which I am a member/director--- 6000 sq ft. 10+years and still going strong. Membership is currently 55CDN$/mo (about 35ish u$) TOTALLY VOLUNTEER. 24/7 access, supplier discounts, low cost training courses. Take a tour

There is an East Essex Hackspace at Hawkwell near Rayleigh, basic costs £5 lifetime membership plus& £10 a month to use it, got a lot of gear inc woodworking, metalworking, laser cutters, 3d printers & electronics stuff.
Seems extraordinarily good value.

Sounds like they have a cafe as well
‘This is about people putting bacon on the table’ … workers inside Bloqs

I have often though that something like this would be a great resource. The practicalities of it and the sustainability of the business model have always seemed questionable though.

The context of that comment that the fellow made sounds more to me like "we're looking for people who have obligations so they will pay more, and maybe who have paying customers and the ability to deduct expenses".

I have to be honest, though - I wouldn't ever want to work out of a maker's space in general unless I absolutely couldn't work at my residence (which would've been the case the first 6 years of my working life - it was against apartment regulations to even open the hood of a car and change a battery).

This seems like a good proposition for small businesses where occasional access to equipment not otherwise affordable or accessible is required. Even hobbyists, DIY, property renovation etc may have a use - eg: large table saw, spindle moulder, panel saw, drum sanders, welding kit etc etc.

These are all things which may not otherwise be affordable, take up too much space, and may only be needed intermittently. I assume there is also the possibility for informal business networking, exchange of skills etc with other users.

There are some issues which I am unclear about - insurance, health and safety, training - I hope it succeeds.

Bloqs is part of the Open Workshop Network - Open Workshop Network — Open Workshop Network is a network of the open-access workshops across London. - which is currently confined to inside the M25 around London - BUT I cannot understand why local Council's all over the Uk would not support this idea. Many making microbusinesses will quickly run out of space in their garage, but will not want to / be able to commit to renting a whole industrial unit and buying the machinery to fill it.
Any ideas how to get this concept spread across the UK???

Back