Blade cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

After testing almost every cleaner in the market, I found one that cleans within 5 minutes.

The blade on the pictures was used to cut many pieces of Pine and Oak as fire wood and I left it like that for at least 2 months.

Regards
niki

Hi Nikki,
I'm not quite sure what your statement "I left it like that for two months" means. Do you mean:-
(a) You left the blade in the white dish for two months?
or (b) You did nothing to it for two months after the session of cutting the firewood and then started work with the wonder cleaner :) ?

Either way it looks like good stuff, 'tho I've never seen it in CZ

Is it some kind of oven cleaner??

That looks very effective, Niki. They advertise Cillit Bang (what a stupid name :? ) on the TV a lot over here. A fairly new product I think.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I tried both Cillit Bang and Mr Muscle oven cleaner - I think Mr Muscle is better as you don't have to brush it - but both work the resin is removed.
Barry

Hi Losos
To clarify, I did not touch the blade for 2 months after cutting the wood (I know that you are joking).
The blade was only 5 minutes (the instruction says 1 minute) and I was surprised to see how clean it became so I run for the camera...

On the spray bottle it says "Expert for removing heavy grease, burnt fat, heavy fat stains and heavy dirt, for cleaning kitchen stoves, stainless steal sinks, grills and general kitchen cleaning".

Paul
Yes it is "Silly Bang" but very effective.
We know it for about 2 years (since we came to Poland).

niki

Hi Niki,
Yes, it was a sort of joke, not one of my best I must admit :oops: Anyway thanks for the clarification. I'll keep my eyes looking in the supermarket for the Silly Bang Bang thingy :lol: :lol:

Happy woodworking

Paul Chapman wrote:
They advertise Cillit Bang (what a stupid name)

...but why does the guy who does it have to SHOUT all the time. Makes me reach for the zapper control :D - rob

And he doesn't actually exist.. 8)

It's an actor claiming to be someone we've never heard of - the reason we haven't heard of him is that the character Barry Scott is just a marketing persons invention.

Andrew

Oh Andrew you have ruined it for me now, next you'll be telling me father christmas don't exist. :(

You seem to know a lot about this, i know, i know, Are you the guy that plays BARRY SCOTT??? :lol:

Matt.

From Vikipedia

UK advertisements are presented by the over-enthusiastic fictional character Barry Scott. Barry claims that Cillit Bang has the ability to remove limescale, rust and ground in dirt. In one version of the advert, Barry is joined by housewife Jill. After Barry places the copper coin in the Cillit Bang, Jill says "You love that one Barry" in remark of his favourite cleaning example.

In the UK advertisement, 'Barry' places a copper 1p coin in Cillit Bang to prove its cleaning ability - it is noted, however, that copper is listed on the back of Cillit Bang containers as a substance on which one should not use Cillit Bang. In the original adverts, 'Barry' uses a 5 Cent euro coin. However, within a few weeks, this was rectified and replaced with the 1p coin.

niki

Were I Barry I do not think I would use oven cleaner to clean either my blades or router bits for that matter. Oven cleaner is alledged to attack the brazing welding the carbide to the blade or bit. If you do the math you will discover that tip speed of blades & bits over 1" average about 105 mph. I don't think I want a piece of thrown carbide striking me at that speed or to even risk such. Niki's cleaner is a grease detergent & a much safer product to use.

Lee

An amazing amount has been said on various boards about problems (including cobalt leaching) caused by using domestic-type cleaners (notably "Simple Green") on carbide tipped saw blades. For example:

"What we do not recommend is long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity or carbide. Shorter term “spray/wipe/rinse” applications do not create that kind of problem.

It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade."

Source: http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_pro_tips.php

Whenever I see "surfactants" listed as an ingredient, it's such a meaningless term that I try to look further:

"The Cillit Bang Power Grime and Lime Cleaner Trigger product contains two acids: sulfamic acid and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid (also known as orthophosphoric acid or phosphoric (V) acid) is a weak mineral acid with the chemical formula H3PO4 and is used by direct application to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron (III) oxide (rust) to a water soluble phosphate compound."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cillit_Bang

I use CMT 2050 Blade & Bit Cleaner. It's made for the job and as far as I can tell is environmentally-friendly. A quick squirt of CMT, leave for fifteen minutes, then wipe it off.

Ray.

Hi Ray

What you described is correct for the "Power Grime & Lime cleaner trigger" (spray) or, "Universal Power cleaning crystals" (container).

I'm talking about the "Universal Degreaser Trigger".

Please look at this web page to see all the three of them and the use/don't use recommendations.
http://www.cillitbang.co.uk/sf2_all.shtml#2

niki

Back