Black & Decker Workmate - Do you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry couldnt post text with that parts diagram,,,It seems the work grabber was made by Craftsman and spare parts were listed,,,not sure if its current though? Nothing popped up in the UK and I didnt think Craftsman tools were sold in the UK? If so how did our Work Grabbers get here?
Steve.

Last edited:
Yes. A couple of original type E cast aluminium workmates from 1974 ish
Used all the time.
20220301_124004.jpg

20220301_124026.jpg

20220301_123947.jpg

20220301_124056.jpg

20220301_124136.jpg

20220301_124108.jpg

Mine is the 79-001 type 4. I bought it in the early 70's and it has served me very well. The dual height has come in handy for painting stuff at the lower height. Many times I've wished there was a way to get more spread on the jaws but I guess it just has its drawbacks and we must live with them. I'd never let go of mine.

I bought a B&D Wallmate sometime in the 80's (?)
No back legs, a total of 3 worktables, one of 'em larger that could be placed between the 2 adjustable jobs.
Two right-angled plates where the back legs would've been, and a metal catch so it could be folded up against a wall.
Really handy until I moved house and needed a "traditional" job, so I had a pal weld two new legs at the rear - didn't look good, but worked fine!
All well until one of the screwthread units broke....I cobbled something together using a captive nut instead, but then found that B&D used an unusual diameter threaded rod - 13.5mm? Can't remember now, but it ended up with me having to buy a size to suit my captive nut instead....and it wound in the opposite direction to the other, and at a different rate courtesy of the thread size!
Once I was used to it, it worked fine for a good few years, inside or out.
Then we had some jobs done on the house - different craftsmen, different jobs....and it disappeared.
Skipped accidentally? Nicked? "Borrowed" by some passing travellers? Dunno.
Still miss it!

I have a love-hate relationship with the workmate. I bought one when lockdown hit and we decided to renovate the garden:
1EF994A7-050B-43DE-B688-3A0E29A421F1.jpeg

The workmate also was key for my first guitar build (a kit).
0927CE51-25CB-492D-902D-2540C736E27B.jpeg

That led me to more serious woodworking which outgrew the possibilities of the workmate.
I upgraded it with a heavy oak top with a small vise and linear track, and a bottom removable shelf also in oak to give more weight and stability.
4948E14B-F6EF-465C-BCC9-0D2559F450BA.jpeg

However, it still moves around whenever I try to hand plane anything or during some sawing work. I can’t wait to build a proper workbench but as I don’t have the space, the workmate will be my bench for the foreseeable future.

I have a love-hate relationship with the workmate. I bought one when lockdown hit and we decided to renovate the garden:
View attachment 146808

The workmate also was key for my first guitar build (a kit).
View attachment 146809

That led me to more serious woodworking which outgrew the possibilities of the workmate.
I upgraded it with a heavy oak top with a small vise and linear track, and a bottom removable shelf also in oak to give more weight and stability.
View attachment 146810
However, it still moves around whenever I try to hand plane anything or during some sawing work. I can’t wait to build a proper workbench but as I don’t have the space, the workmate will be my bench for the foreseeable future.
Could you not make some folding legs which are heavier and wider?

There are some parts for Workmates on ebay looks like the alloy type?

Ive got the Keter type myself ok legs extend so raise if like to a decent height! and does have a shelf below which is part of the locking mech and does have two slots that clamps run in plus comes with 4 locking side clamp/brackets so side locks things but even so still a bug bear that can't G clamp etc anything down plus planing isn't great even up against a wall as base of legs sits outside area of top unless have plenty of weight on it or shelf but can pack/pad out either fixed to table or to wall if have a spot you fiddle around?
But have made a huge bench hook out of thick plywood with length of 2x2/50x50? fixed under front and atmo have a thinner piece screwed down halfway down but going to Mod/meddle with moveable type which will either be at 90deg or variable angleable!
On the whole pretty rigid gadget though plus seen some later spec's have more gadgets

You can on workmate type find yourself a lump of thick plywood etc trimmed to your requirements?
Then fix a length of wood/metal/whatever on one side and clamp in jaws or add to it by fixing through with bolts "domed headed with square below and washers with say wing nuts then can recess them so not in way then fit through jaws best at ends i guess with jaws open a fair way at most stable? do wing nuts up and a stable worktop which you could even create with a vice on it?
Those ones you get as a diy kit some of the brackets add a spot of glue gear stops them flexing>floppy! Base bar seems to move on many after a while so rocks side to side

I can’t wait to build a proper workbench but as I don’t have the space, the workmate will be my bench for the foreseeable future.
I don't think the workmate is at all suitable for hand planing anything significant. It's tall and even my original alloy ones have a smallish footprint. Push hard and they tip. The joints needed for folding up inevitably flex.

But don't give up. Keep your eyes open for the biggest heaviest plank that you can manhandle - think railway sleeper proportions but not so nasty. The most important part of a planing bench is one big heavy timber at the front. If you find one, there will be a way to use that with trestles or whatever to make a bench that can be knocked down and stored in a corner. Placing the end of the plank against a wall will borrow it's mass and resist you pushing the plane....

The next most useful portable work support after the workmate is a pair of Toughbuilt folding trestles :)

The toughbuilt tressles are really good, a couple of lengths of 4 by 2 and you have a frame on which to cut full sheets. They fold up compact and are easy to carry, get the right ones with adjustable legs and uneven ground is not an issue.

Back