biscuit jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

I am almost out of money setting my shop up, but there is something i really need until my cashflow is sorted (ie start work on the barns).

And that thing is a Biscuit jointer, who has experience with the cheapo's?? and what is the best one to get?

I hate scrimping on kit, but it really is only a short term fix.

Any advice or recomendations will be ideal.

Many Thanks

Mark

It seems to me that you either have to go with the cheap hobbyjob stuff, then the prices shoot right up for the decent stuff. Gotta agree those clarkes look the best of the cheaper stuff, the fence looks better then a lot of those horrible pressed plate affairs, I'll go for one of those when my god awful screaming banshee erbauer gives up and I'll happily take a hammer to it. I'm reluctant to spend a lot considering it is essentually an angle grinder with a blade and cage/fence fitted

As I've said before, the yellow Clarke one has been accurate for a scatter of years for me. NOT (sorry for shouting) the cheapest blue one.

I've got the Clarke BJ600, I bought it on the basis of some of the posts on here and have been happy with it, cost about £50, its quite robust with a metal fence rather than the plastic fences you get on some of the cheaper units. Clarke also include an adaptor for connecting it up to a vac and a spare set of brushes.

You could buy a biscuit cutter for your Router it would get you out of trouble for a while

hey guys

Many thanks for your replies, i think i will be looking at machine mart tomorrow, its only local to me.

Like i say its only a short term fix, it may even suit me perfectly and be a long term one, until the domino comes along.

Cheers

Mark

To be honest I wouldn't own a Clarke Biscuit Jointer if it was handed to me for free. It isn't top quality stuff; your best option is to look at the Einhell biscuit jointer (around the same price as the Clarke but much better quality!)

My blue Clarke jointer was utter rubbish. It wasn't even fixed together correctly. Into the bin it has gone. My yellow Clarke is working fine.

The blue Clarke BJ6oo won best on test out of 11 contenders a few years ago. I bought one and its been fine. Sturdy accurate and consistent, mainly used on oak.
I would be very wary of an Einhell model....but also would find it difficult to justify spending more than the cost of the Clarke for a "brand" when the "brands" performed less well than the Clarke in a head to head test.

I thought the blue one was the BJ300, and the yellow one was the BJ600 which was awarded 'Good Woodworking' magazines 'Best On Test'

Shane":3ll6lmnc said:
I thought the blue one was the BJ300, and the yellow one was the BJ600 which was awarded 'Good Woodworking' magazines 'Best On Test'
According to Clarke's web site the BJ600 got the GW "best on test" and it's yellow :)

My questions to owners: how tight a joint can you make with it, and can you remove the fence so you can make biscuited "T" joints (can't do this with a 4mm router cutter :( ).

I've got a 4mm bearing-guided cutter for the router, but I find it's really hard not to tilt slightly, and make the slot too loose - I'd invest in a proper jointer if it avoided that problem!

Eric The Viking":3g2eraav said:
My questions to owners: how tight a joint can you make with it, and can you remove the fence so you can make biscuited "T" joints (can't do this with a 4mm router cutter :( ).

On both the erbauer, and a previous bosch jointer I had use of you could remove the fence to do T joints, although you need to make sure it is secure in position cos you can get a bit of movement on start up due to the torque. As for tight joints, as long as the faces are planed correctly and you apply the right amount of clamping in the right places it's a piece of p**s

I've also found the jointer rather good for taking off the bottom of skirting boards to fit flooring under, takes a while though :lol:

Eric The Viking":caaq3ux3 said:

I rarely use biscuits and glue on T joints, not keen on that incase of movement opening up the joint. If I do use biscuits in that scenario I prefer to use it conjuntion with screws and plugs to keep it held really tight (depending on location and finish required of course). I would normally prefer a dovetail housing for this type of joint though, and reserve the biscuiter for making up wide boards.

Eric The Viking":193flgfh said:
Shane":193flgfh said:
According to Clarke's web site the BJ600 got the GW "best on test" and it's yellow :)

I've got a 4mm bearing-guided cutter for the router, but I find it's really hard not to tilt slightly, and make the slot too loose - I'd invest in a proper jointer if it avoided that problem!

I've got the BJ600 and it's got the yellow casing.

The angle of the fence is adjustable so for T joints you raise it fully, making it flush with the front of the biscuit jointer, then you can plunge into the flat half of the T-joint. I've only done a few T-joints with mine but I find it's best to use a straight edge clampled to the flat piece to align the biscuit jointer and stop it moving.

Haven't had a problem with the slot being too loose, main difficulty I find is getting the position of the slots spot on so there's no ridges when jointing material.

Back