Biscuit jointer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":3kwl1zu0 said:
I don't think anyone would suggest you bought a router and cutter rather than a biscuit jointer, I for one was presuming you already had a router. :D

I do have one but it's a trimming router, the makita Katsu knock off and I must say its a thing of beauty for light work.

basssound":38k2gsis said:
So I'm looking to purchase a biscuit jointer.
I haven't got the money for a new or used festool domino (£500 used) so that out of the question.
Now I'll only be using it for DIY and possibly the odd bit for family members so what should I be looking at. I wouldn't mind buying a second one if its in good condition, especially from another member on here.
Would a cheap entry level one at well under £100 sort me out or should I be looking at a Dewalt, Makita or Trend?

Cheers.

I have a Lamello for sale. Its about 8 yrs old but has not been in use for 5 of those years due to my business taking a different direction. Excellent condition. PM me if interested.

No doubt there will be cries of horror from some but, I have a Silverline biscuit jointer which is occasionally used and does what the box says :D

To which the smug answer is, "So what does the box say about it?" :)

Seriously, they're not all bad, but it does depend on how well the thing is made and how one uses it.

I read a lot of bad stuff about the Makita, about how the fence isn't square to the machine and/or parallel to the baseplate . "That's odd," thunk I, "mine is just fine." Then I realised all the comments related to a newer model.

There has been a cost reduction exercise across the market for BJs, as prices have been plummeting, and the Chinese have ramped up the volume(s). I think it means you have to now be cautious what you buy, or go for a higher-end long-established model.

Sounds like you did well...

Eric The Viking":2i2grlxi said:
There has been a cost reduction exercise across the market for BJs, as prices have been plummeting, and the Chinese have ramped up the volume(s). I think it means you have to now be cautious what you buy, or go for a higher-end long-established model.

Unfortunately, there has been a cost cutting exercise across most manufactured goods (not just power tools) but most of us aren't able to try them out before purchase or judge quality except by watching YouTube reviews or comments on forums such as this.

Sadly, on-line purchasing has left those of us away from large cities without the local tool shops where we could talk things through and compare the various makes.

basssound":3s0dxoyh said:
So I'm looking to purchase a biscuit jointer.
I haven't got the money for a new or used festool domino (£500 used) so that out of the question.
Now I'll only be using it for DIY and possibly the odd bit for family members so what should I be looking at. I wouldn't mind buying a second one if its in good condition, especially from another member on here.
Would a cheap entry level one at well under £100 sort me out or should I be looking at a Dewalt, Makita or Trend?

Cheers.

Hi,

If you are John then I inadvertently deleted you PM re the lamello. Just to confirm it was you could you send a second PM and I will reply. Thanks in advance
Alan

Back