bird table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
this is a bird table that i made last week for my sister, the whole thing is made out of pine and is very study, its certainly heavy enough. my question is, because its all pine and i havent put any finish on at all, what kind of finish would you recommend seeing as it is going to be sitting on grass obviously in all weathers. the pine is not pressure treated by the way.

all help and opinions welcome.

thanks.

chris.......

Attachments

• front1 (Small).jpg
    front1 (Small).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • front2 (Small).jpg
    front2 (Small).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,466
  • side1 (Small).jpg
    side1 (Small).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,466
  • side2 (Small).jpg
    side2 (Small).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,466
well its lovely Chris. Good job there for sure. I note you've also put sacrificial feet that will actually be in contact with the ground which is a good idea to protect the legs. Now, not being pressure treated isn't ideal as that would have really helped. I've used clear cuprinol many times for pine outdoor projects I've done and it works very well. I have a little planting Perspex lidded box (cant remember the name off the top of my head...senior moment) that I made in 1994 and clear cuprinol'd it...then a coat of an external cuprinol brown stain. I redo the stain every 5 years and its still going. The really important bits to soak the cuprinol into are any exposed end grain and definitely the feet. In fact, if it were me I would attach small oak feet to defeat the biggest liability which is that in contact with the ground. Very nice though

Looks very nice.

I would possibly treat the stand part, but leave the house part untreated as it might stop the birds using it / or poison them if they pecked at it and ate some of it.

My bird house has been up a good 5yrs plus without treatment and is still in great nick. I think the slate roof / lead ridge has helped. :D

I have a little planting Perspex lidded box (cant remember the name off the top of my head...senior moment)

Cold frame?

M

put it in a bucket of creosote let it soak right in the feet and well coat the rest smell will wear off eventually

Random Orbital Bob":19ni6y3i said:
I thought the EU had banned creosote ages ago??
You can still get it for trade or commercial use just not for sale to the general public.

cedarwood":1htz9xsx said:
Random Orbital Bob":1htz9xsx said:
I thought the EU had banned creosote ages ago??
You can still get it for trade or commercial use just not for sale to the general public.

sure is can get it in bandq but think its slightly different to the old stuff, used it on my garden workshop soaks in well rather than the water based ones

Latest posts

Back