Birch Plywood Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, How much benefit is there in using a Freud/Cmt 80 tooth ATB blade over a 40 tooth ATB blade when cutting Birch Ply. Also Has anyone used Wealden saw blades, as there is not much difference in price compared to Freud/Cmt.

Thanks in advance

Philip

Hi,

At risk of saying the F word, and I mean the 7 letter one ending in ool.

Depending on what you are cutting with you could check out the Festool blade to see if it will fit. I have used Gomex in my TS and it gives a perfect finish everytime.

The G

I'm also interested in trying a Wealden blade, a triple chip for cutting MFC in my case. I know that Wealden router bits are pretty good but I have no experience of their saw blades. Any Wealden users out there who care to share their experience? I have looked at Freud/CMT but have found it difficult to find a triple chip tooth pattern 935 mm blade.

Jake":18r0llz3 said:
935mm - that's a bad-ass saw!

TableSaw.jpg

:roll:

Big Isn't always best. There will always be someone around the corner with something bigger and better!!!

Some 'Table Top' ..... A quick cough and a sneeze and you'd be missing some vital body parts :shock:

Those Wadkin's guys look so cool and collected, with 3' of high speed steel whistling past their ears - typical Woodworker!

Had some converstaion with Freud technical about this, they reccomended the 80T with 40 deg bevel (LU12MSS) for troublesome sheet stuff if you have no scoring blade, and want to avoid chipping / spelching. It cuts very cleanly; it also has sound deadening slots which stop it ringing and so reduce blade vibration. Of course such spikey points don't stay sharp for very long. The triple chip blades are designed to five a fair but much longer lived cutting performance.

ivan":3kkaqgag said:
...... it also has sound deadening slots which stop it ringing and so reduce blade vibration. Of course such spikey points don't stay sharp for very long.
I'm not so sure about the sound-deadening slots stopping the blade from ringing at all. There is another theory that resonance is more lileky to be caused by a tension problem in the blade than by the presence/absence of slots, indeed one solution used to quieten blades is to pack the round holes some manufacturers insist on sticking in blades with fillets of brass rod. Still doesn't explain why it is that two identical Leuco 12in blades in my set are respectively quiet and very noisy.

On a note about longevity these "bombastic grind" blades like the LU12MSS, I have found them to have only about 1/4 to 1/3 the "sharp" life of a conventional grind triple chip blades and less than half the number of sharpenings in them. So they're hardly a low cost option as far as I'm concerned.

Scrit

Had some converstaion with Freud technical about this, they reccomended the 80T with 40 deg bevel (LU12MSS) for troublesome sheet stuff if you have no scoring blade, and want to avoid chipping / spelching

Although the Freud blade selection chart recommends this blade for plywood the Freud catalogue specifically states that this blade is not recommended for cutting plywood. :?

There are a few mistakes in the catalogue and as Scrit pointed out I think it would lose its edge very quickly. Your best bet is a triple chip, run it so the tip just projects above the board and you should get a decent finish.

I assume it was the 220mm blade Freud quoted you in which case the LU27M DB3 is the one to go for as long as you are using it in a table saw.

Keith

I have had a quick flick through the Axminster book and notice the CMT blade for plywood is a triple chip but with 10 degrees positive rake. What's the advantage with going to the negative rake blade, as I have one of these in my RAS.

Philip

It's just horses for courses.
If you haven't got a scoring saw, the extreme bevel blade does give an excellent finish, but needs frequent sharpening. It was suggested to me verbally by Freud; the CMT 283 40 deg version is also suggested 'for best possible finish...ply, faced boards, melamine' in the Ax catalogue. If longevity is more important than finish then go standard triple chip. I'd expect the hollow ground triple chip to come between the two - I've not tried one of these, probably Scrit will have the full SP.

Back