Big Triton Collet Lock Woes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OllyK

Established Member
Reaction score
I fired up the big triton in the table tonight and there was a horrible grinding noise. Switched off and took a look to find the collet locking pin hadn't freed properly and has made a bit of a mess of the collet.

Freed it all up and set up again and it failed to free again. Think it's going to need a bit of a more serious look. So a warning to you all out there, test the collet lock has disengaged properly before firing up!! :oops:

I have to spray a bit of WD40 on mine quite often as there is no protection on that pin that goes in and out and it just seems to get clogged up with dust. Fortunately I have the opposite that it wont go in and therefore I can't wind the router right down to change the bit.

I had exactly the same problem a few days ago, the pin locking in I took the plastic plunger out and cleaned it, but its still not right. I have to manually engage / disengage the lock pin, WD40 etc doesn't seem to help... :-(

devonwoody":25c7dl9x said:
? condensation/rust?
My workshop is terrible this year.

Certainly no rust on the router, but possible the temperature and condensation could be an issue, it seems to be the plastic push button that's tight rather than the metal, guess the plastic doesn't shrink as much in the cold. I may ease the knob with a bit of emery and then some silicon lube and see if that helps.

OllyK":k2nbet2j said:
Switched off and took a look to find the collet locking pin hadn't freed properly and has made a bit of a mess of the collet.
What part has it messed up? Is it the collet chuck part with the three indentations? I may have a spare, if so.

Ray.

Argee":25lsj4y8 said:
OllyK":25lsj4y8 said:
Switched off and took a look to find the collet locking pin hadn't freed properly and has made a bit of a mess of the collet.
What part has it messed up? Is it the collet chuck part with the three indentations? I may have a spare, if so.

Ray.

It's the chuck with the indentations, it looks like the edges of the indentation have got chewed up so it's now the burr that's stopping the pin coming out cleanly.

I had the exact problem.
luckily, the fuse blew and the lock didnt do too much damage on the collet.
here is the fix:
you need to unscrew the collect lock thingy (1 screw, 2 springs, and the locking bar)
take the black plastic cap indoor, and stick it on a radiator for a day or two (not tooo hot !)
it will dry and shrink back to its normal size.
It's moisture that's "inflating" the plastic, and preventing the button to move back out of the way.

Argee":2j5fqutk said:
OllyK":2j5fqutk said:
It's the chuck with the indentations, it looks like the edges of the indentation have got chewed up so it's now the burr that's stopping the pin coming out cleanly.
I've got a spare one. Send me your mailing address.

Ray.

Many thanks for your kind offer Ray, but I spent an hour or so tonight with my jewellery files and some emery and have manged to clean it up sufficiently for it to operate again.

Back