Big price difference for maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got some prices for rough sawn maple, The price differences are quite substancial – I thought, as SL Hardwoods are in London they'd be more expensive, but their price for 50x125mm x 14m is £164 with £24 delivery – also got a price from Sykes Timber and that came in at £271 + £48 delivery :shock: . I wonder why such a big difference, I've got timber from SL before and the quality has been good. I know the SL prices normally end up a bit higher than quoted on their website as they have to round up to a quantity they have in stock.

I s'pose I should get a price from Lavers as well as they are local. Can anyone recommend anywhere else for maple?

what about Latham in ossett?

Lavers in Leeds certainly keep some stuff- i saw it when i bought some oak. a while ago, mind. I have found that you can negotiate on price with them too, so if you have a cheaper price elsewhere, it is worth asking what they can do.

also niche timbers in wakefield, although i have found them to be quite expensive when i have had a quote on a couple of boards.

I have purchased some great Rock Maple from Tyler Hardwoods. www.tylerhardwoods.com.
The Maple was great to work with and very hard so polished up fantastic with crisp edges.
They are quite local to me in Wiltshire so I have no idea about delivery costs as I pick mine up.

They have a great selection of timber, I also bought some Walnut.

Ollie

Thanks for the replies chaps. I've got a Lavers not too far away so could pop in and see what they can do.

I'll check out Tyler Hardwoods Ollie, haven't heard of them before. I saw some Rock Maple advertised somewhere else - how different is it to your regular maple?

Unib":3mcb24ec said:
I just got some prices for rough sawn maple . . . . . Can anyone recommend anywhere else for maple?

Looks like you're in the Sheffield area ~ have you considered John Boddy's in Boroughbridge?
I've had 'regular' Maple as well as Bird's Eye Maple, Oak and some other hardwoods from Boddy's in the past. My last visit was last April -- it's a 500 mile round trip for me!
I'm guessing it shouldn't be much more than an hour's drive for you?

Just had a look at their not very good website, look interesting and you're right - about an hour away. Can you get to have a look at the timber before you buy there?

Timberfreak":2cy1foqe said:
Unib":2cy1foqe said:
I just got some prices for rough sawn maple . . . . . Can anyone recommend anywhere else for maple?

Looks like you're in the Sheffield area ~ have you considered John Boddy's in Boroughbridge?
I've had 'regular' Maple as well as Bird's Eye Maple, Oak and some other hardwoods from Boddy's in the past. My last visit was last April -- it's a 500 mile round trip for me!
I'm guessing it shouldn't be much more than an hour's drive for you?

Unib":1erhn1gx said:
Can you get to have a look at the timber before you buy there?
Yes. We always pick through the pile and select our own timber when we buy from Boddy's. Slainte.

In respect of John Boddy's website . . .
Unib":24fckj9h said:
Just had a look at their not very good website, look interesting and you're right - about an hour away. Can you get to have a look at the timber before you buy there?

You're right! ~ their website isn't very good . . . but that's quite the opposite of their selection of timber. There's a vast selection of timber -- softwood, but particularly hardwood and many exotic species included.
Any time I've been It's like I'm in an Alladin's cave! You may have to take drinks and sandwiches with you !!!

You can take as long as you like to sift through the timber until you find what you want

It sounds great, it also sounds like I need to do some saving up before I go there - quite dangerous financially by the sounds of it!

Timberfreak":3bznpnzp said:
In respect of John Boddy's website . . .

You're right! ~ their website isn't very good . . . but that's quite the opposite of their selection of timber. There's a vast selection of timber -- softwood, but particularly hardwood and many exotic species included.
Any time I've been It's like I'm in an Alladin's cave! You may have to take drinks and sandwiches with you !!!

You can take as long as you like to sift through the timber until you find what you want

Unib":cfi8kphz said:
It sounds great, it also sounds like I need to do some saving up before I go there - quite dangerous financially by the sounds of it!

You're not wrong! ~~~ it would be very easy to get rid of a lot of £££s there!

Latest posts

Back