Brief review of Triton TPL 180 big hand-held planer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the framing guys are using these tools at close to maximum depth? Hitting a knot in hard oak can be a big deal if you are trying to trim 4mm off it I suppose. I would be amazed if it broke the tool as cutting depths of 0.5mm to o.75mm, which is topically what I do.

In my case, the oak I am using is quite well machined off the saw, and I just take off enough shallow cuts to get me to a surface that has eliminated the saw marks and saves me belt sander time. That is what it was bought for.

I am not trying to do industrial level processing: if I were then I would need a more heavy duty machine. We need to accept that at around £240 for a triple blade plane with 7" width capacity, and light enough to be practical, there has to be a compromise.

I have about 4 cubic metres of green and some seasoned rough cut oak to process, so later in the year when I have got round to doing it all, I will post about how the planer has held up.

Was going to put this in my silver lining thread, but it will get lost there. I rarely do tool reviews unless I have had extensive use, so I am breaking the mould a bit here as it is pertinent to my projects currently.

Cost about £240 on line. 7” or 180 mm width. 240V.

View attachment 86497

I bought this because there comes a point when belt sanding sawn oak beams becomes tedious and slow. I needed to crack on.

I do have a PT, but it is completely impossible for me to put 6” oak beams that are typically 3m long across it, working alone. For framing work or anything in heavy timber, you have to take the tool to the timber,

Mafell make an excellent one (see the silver lining thread) but it is over £3,000. I have a Mafell track saw and it is superb, but I couldn’t afford or remotely justify £3k+ for a tool I would not use much.

I’ve used this Triton planer to do a fairly big pile of 6” beams and about 30 4” by 4” sections or 2” by 4”. And I kid you not, I have produced about a cubic metre of shavings in about 2 days.

Pros: It is a massive time saver. The finish does not leave tramlines as smaller planers do - because for the work I am doing it is wider than the wood!

The machine will cut several mm deep, but in my experience of electric planers that is always a bad idea. So I cut between 0.5mm and at most 1mm per cut. Typically each face of a 6” sawn beam will require two or three cuts to get a clean finish. Zero sanding required usually.

Factors to bear in mind: it is reasonably heavy. Fine for me but I am quite a big fella. There is a spring loaded drop down shoe to prevent the blade catching when you put it down. But take care - it takes a while for the blade to stop.

Getting the blades off is easy. They are straight and sharpen-able. I have given mine a touch up. Set of blades is cheap.

Cons. It has a dust port. Works from one side only. However, you can pretty much forget chip extraction unless you own a dust bag factory. Obviously this is a take the tool to the work machine so you will be using a portable extractor.

For its intended purpose this thing chucks out a huge amount of chips and will quickly overwhelm the portable extractor. Hard to spot this until you realise chips are literally everywhere. The port will block. Then compact. The chips are not dusty really but I wear my electric hood anyway. Rig a sheet or something to catch the chips. My wife uses them on her kitchen garden paths. She is knee deep in the stuff.

Con 2. It has an adjustable side fence that you can set to different angles. Hilarious. You can forget using that too. This tool is excellent but it is more of a blunt instrument than a surgical scalpel.

If you want to take out things like humps, typically found in faces above knots, where branches emerged, I think it is better to get your hand plane out and deal with the localised area rather than using this. It is at it’s best doing full lengths.

Conclusion: for anyone doing stuff with heavy sawn timber (nail free!!!) that needs a good finish in a short time, this machine at under £250 is a total no brainer. Excellent machine at a silly price. Highly recommended if you have a need.

Post Covid I suspect Chinese made. Chinese made stuff will soon be far less readily available and not as cheap. If you think you will need this, then I would buy now. Not that I am giving advice.

Was going to put this in my silver lining thread, but it will get lost there. I rarely do tool reviews unless I have had extensive use, so I am breaking the mould a bit here as it is pertinent to my projects currently.

Cost about £240 on line. 7” or 180 mm width. 240V.

View attachment 86497

I bought this because there comes a point when belt sanding sawn oak beams becomes tedious and slow. I needed to crack on.

I do have a PT, but it is completely impossible for me to put 6” oak beams that are typically 3m long across it, working alone. For framing work or anything in heavy timber, you have to take the tool to the timber,

Mafell make an excellent one (see the silver lining thread) but it is over £3,000. I have a Mafell track saw and it is superb, but I couldn’t afford or remotely justify £3k+ for a tool I would not use much.

I’ve used this Triton planer to do a fairly big pile of 6” beams and about 30 4” by 4” sections or 2” by 4”. And I kid you not, I have produced about a cubic metre of shavings in about 2 days.

Pros: It is a massive time saver. The finish does not leave tramlines as smaller planers do - because for the work I am doing it is wider than the wood!

The machine will cut several mm deep, but in my experience of electric planers that is always a bad idea. So I cut between 0.5mm and at most 1mm per cut. Typically each face of a 6” sawn beam will require two or three cuts to get a clean finish. Zero sanding required usually.

Factors to bear in mind: it is reasonably heavy. Fine for me but I am quite a big fella. There is a spring loaded drop down shoe to prevent the blade catching when you put it down. But take care - it takes a while for the blade to stop.

Getting the blades off is easy. They are straight and sharpen-able. I have given mine a touch up. Set of blades is cheap.

Cons. It has a dust port. Works from one side only. However, you can pretty much forget chip extraction unless you own a dust bag factory. Obviously this is a take the tool to the work machine so you will be using a portable extractor.

For its intended purpose this thing chucks out a huge amount of chips and will quickly overwhelm the portable extractor. Hard to spot this until you realise chips are literally everywhere. The port will block. Then compact. The chips are not dusty really but I wear my electric hood anyway. Rig a sheet or something to catch the chips. My wife uses them on her kitchen garden paths. She is knee deep in the stuff.

Con 2. It has an adjustable side fence that you can set to different angles. Hilarious. You can forget using that too. This tool is excellent but it is more of a blunt instrument than a surgical scalpel.

If you want to take out things like humps, typically found in faces above knots, where branches emerged, I think it is better to get your hand plane out and deal with the localised area rather than using this. It is at it’s best doing full lengths.

Conclusion: for anyone doing stuff with heavy sawn timber (nail free!!!) that needs a good finish in a short time, this machine at under £250 is a total no brainer. Excellent machine at a silly price. Highly recommended if you have a need.

Post Covid I suspect Chinese made. Chinese made stuff will soon be far less readily available and not as cheap. If you think you will need this, then I would buy now. Not that I am giving advice.
Exploded on the 3rd pass and very lucky to of not been injured by the super speed shrapnel that shredded into thin long pointed spikes. Poor casting and design

Attachments

• 20230706_124746.jpg
    20230706_124746.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_124752.jpg
    20230706_124752.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_124806.jpg
    20230706_124806.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Inspector
theres a lot of tools esp small machines that r not available here….
prob due to elf n safety…..
ive heard a few people inc me that get stuff from Poland etc.
apparently a good place for the over priced black n green German gear..
plus posting is no problem now….
There’s something about a DeWalt planer that’s not available here but is in Russia,,,,!!!!!!
we were about 5 years behind u in battery drill use….if not longer….
do you remember those 9volt Makitas with the long handle of old…..
I bought 6 back with me from Calif…nobody had seen em here n they were being phased out…
the uk as far as tooling is concerned, we’re a small unimportant island not worth bothering with when it come to selling some stuff….
but what u can buy DeWaly Milwauke etc can be more than double the price there, then u can get specials…
.mostly we’re being raped here in Europe…
beside big planers, hand held chain mortisers have no real use here
certainly they are not norm use…..

i personally would like to have a new Skill sidewinder saw and an old loco type /style Porter Cable planer but that won’t happen…..
even if they were bought on a trip over there duty n shipping would increase the cost by 100% if I was lucky…..

best thing that ever happened to us is the internet….
coz the powers that be would prefer us kept in the dark……

Back