Big Heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who or what determines the diameter of screw heads. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the screw size. I am using some screws supplied with hinges, which aren't very good. They are s/s screws that have a c/s head. I have tried to substitute the same size 3.00mm x 25mm with a KTX Concept screws but the head is much bigger and won't fit the c/s. I have also tried a Spax, better but still too big. All these heads fit a PS1 bit but vary a lot in head diameter. Is head size listed anywhere or does anyone know of small heads ? Geoff

Wood screw gauges are determined by head size, basically you measure the head in 16ths of an inch minus 1 then double,

If the head measures 1/4 that equates to 4 sixteenths
4 minus 1 is 3
3 doubled is 6 therefore its a #6 screw

daft I know but then again isn't every imperial measurement

I sort of understand that but can't understand why two different makes of 3.00mm ( imperial 6 ) screws have different sized heads.

Further to o0dunk0o’s answer the conversion to metric is as follows:
Imperial Metric
No 4/5 3.0
No6 3.5
No 8 4.0
No 10 5.0
No 12/14 6.0
Gleamed this from a Good Woodworking Chart which I have used for quite a long time now.

Ctx concept screws always had daftly big heads, I've never got on with them tbh,
spax screws tend to be pretty reliable for head sizes although they do have a 2 stage countersink head that doesn't sit well in countersinks.

I always try to use traditionally cut screws for hardware, they just work better.

just a side thought the hinge might have been supplied with #5 screws depending on the maker

That link to the "hinge screws" seems to be the answer. I didn't realise that they existed and answers the question. Thanks for the replies and help. Geoff

You could adjust the countersink hole to suit your screws. I use G&J Halls contersinks - the smallest XCM06 will fit into tiny hinges without damaging the knuckle (made in England and reasonably priced too)
Matt

Latest posts

Back