Bevel Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I want to make a circular plywood hoop 40mm thick. This will be a couple of metres in diameter & made up in sections. I need to put a 50° bevel on the outside circumference. Any suggestions on how I can achieve this. Thanks Tony.

I might use my router table with a 45 degree bit and make a jig to allow me to increase the table angle by 5 degrees.

Alternatively I might make two hoops, one as a template, then make a block on the bottom of my router to give me the 50 degree angle I want and then use a flush trim bit to cut the angle out of the workpiece. You could also get a tilting router base (https://amzn.to/3J5DK48)

I want to do it with a circle cutting jig on the table saw with the blade at an angle, but I don't see how you could do that with such a big piece.

Hi all. I want to make a circular plywood hoop 40mm thick. This will be a couple of metres in diameter & made up in sections. I need to put a 50° bevel on the outside circumference. Any suggestions on how I can achieve this. Thanks Tony.
It would be helpful to know what kit you've got to play with

You could use a 45 degree bearing guided chamfer bit and make a 5 degree angled sub base for your router but it depends on how wide the hoop is to give you a stable platform to work off

You could have a custom 50 degree bit with bottom bearing made. It depends on how badly you value the extra 5 degrees over a 45 degree bit.:rolleyes:

You could have a custom 50 degree bit with bottom bearing made. It depends on how badly you value the extra 5 degrees over a 45 degree bit.:rolleyes:
Unless you are going into production it could be a lot cheaper to take the job to someone with a band saw, rather than having special tools made for such a very simple task.

Apologies I should have said that I have a table saw , bandsaw & router table at my disposal. It's going to be part of rather a large model. Unfortunately I can't elaborate. Thanks.

If you have access to a nice flat area - bench or floor. You could make a square sub-base for a hand-held router. Under this fasten two battens to the outside edges that will allow you to straddle the hoop. If you are using a 45 degree cutter these can be given a slope of 5 degrees to make up the difference.

You will then have to improvise a follower of sorts to bear against the hoop. This could be no more complicated , than a couple of radiused ended wooden fingers fastened to the underneath of the base. I have used this finger method before, to adapt a marking gauge for circular work

I think it's too unwieldy to bring to any of your machines and the 40mm thickness is difficult for a hand router; it would take at least a couple of passes with a large chamfer cutter.
I would consider making the ring in sections, as you suggest, but dowel the joints so that it can be disassembled, after which cut the bevel on the individual sections before final reassembly.
The bevels could be cut on any of your machines but it would need a hefty jig in the form of a circular fence at the required angle.
Is the 50deg to the horizontal, ie, 40deg to the vertical edge? That would certainly be easier than the other way.
Brian

I didn't take into account the depth of cut when posting. So any approach using a router is not really going to be man enough for the task. :unsure:

Just @Yojevol has outlined, it is probably best to apply the bevel to the individual pieces.

The bench saw with the blade canted would be up to the task, though improvising a metre long adjustable trammel, might prove challenging, and a little Heath-Robinson.

Am I missing something or couldn't you put the chamfer on the pieces whilst straight and then bend them afterwards?
I made the assumption that he was cutting out a circle rather than bending wood to make the circle.

I didn’t consider that but would make much more sense and be more economical with wood.

I hadn't really thought about making it any other way than bending it, although I suppose we don't know all the dimensions. I am assuming that by a 40mm hoop he means the thickness of the edge, like the metal tyre on a wagon wheel, but 40 thick and 2m diameter. Of course of the 40 is as it were the depth, and the face is wider, different problem.

If it has to be cut on the completed hoop then this is the gadget I made for drawing minute rings etc on clock dials. A crude, and rather larger, version of this would make the job very easy.
IMG_20230614_061004.jpg

Latest posts

Back