Bevel Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an interesting giant cartwheel type project.
I would do it in sections and make up a very secure way of holding it, like a flat mdf base with a set of 3 or 4 toggle clamps and a matched inner and outer curve to hold it to, then you need a variable angle head in the spindle (or tilting spindle) and a ring fence.
Or if you have lots of time and energy a spokeshave !

Ollie

No prob.Have it rotating on something 1 metre away.
If it was a disc that is.
If a hoop:
Tilt band saw table to 40º, clamp made up guide to the table to fit the internal radius of the hoop, feed the hoop past the guide for a 50º cut. It'd be necessary to tilt the whole band saw so that the far edge of the hoop was off the floor - or perhaps resting in another guide at floor level.
Most difficult bit would be supporting the tilted band saw safely. Brackets etc? Could be a two man job!
I made 2no 40" hoops as apron for a round table. Still got the first one as it was the wrong size - the table top turned out to be not perfectly round. The second one I made clamping it to the table top itself to make sure it fitted.
Not difficult, two staggered layers of 8 sectors each, glued and nailed. You'd have to nail away from the bevel to keep the nails away from band saw blade.
An alternative could be to feed it past a suitably tilted linisher or sanding disc, with a coarse grit for a fast cut, perhaps with guides for a controlled cut.

Last edited:
Hoop detail. Two layers of 8 segments. 44" diameter

IMG_5332.JPG

and a mocked up guide with table at 40º for bevelling at 50º, in principle. Crude but could be very refined. Could be a longer curved saddle, plus feather boards etc. and support at the bottom end.
At 50º can do a diameter up to 1.6m without tilting the bandsaw itself.

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back