Bevel guage Hell!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
4 1/2 hours wasted on a stupid #!****! bevel guage. I'm making an Oak built-in corner cupboard, part of a much bigger job that I've almost finished. (oak panelling etc,etc. ) No real difficulties other than all of the walls are on the water as is the ceiling and floor.(300year old house hence the oak panelling), but no real surprises. All of my big machinery is on site BUT my normal hand tools are at another job. No problem as I have double of most things including a real nasty bevel guage that has lurked in my workshop since time immemorial. my normal guage is a sweet Veritas thing that does what its told, a bevel guage is a bevel guage right??

WRONG

So there I am measuring off for this angled cupboard preparing to do the door frames, I take the bevel reading, set the fence on the planer and off I go, go to fit the planed pieces only to find they are well out,O.k, I take the measurement again to check, everything seems good but pieces still dont fit.Must be a problem with the framing thinks I :-k . So off comes the face frames and everything seems to be good, so I start puzzling."Do the right thing," thinks I, and take the entire framing out (screwed into concrete and rubbish lathe and plaster walls,) and reassemble. I take all of the measurements again, cut and plane more wood, starting to get cross now. Same problem :evil: :evil:

ANYWAY.... you starting to get the idea? and so it goes on till I've got trenches in the lathe and plaster, I had to re-scribe the uprights(which is a pain in anyone's books,) and STILL the same problem. The poor house owner is probably wondering what happened to the nice amiable chap that arrived in the morning.

To cut a long story to just a bit shorter, as I was having kittens and puppies and everthing else I notice that the arm on the guage had recessed in to the holder on one side.EH!! That's what I thought. The cheap piece of rubbish had been machined at a slant at the end. So one side was proud everytime I took a reading, pushing it out every time I set the planer fence, such minute amount I didn't notice, but over any length it magnified. :roll: ,

Needless to say I'll be sticking to my usual rule of "DONT USE RUBBISH TOOLS"

Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

Decklan p.s any "You should have checked.....," can get stuffed!!!! :D

The people that quote: "a bad workman always blames his tools..." obviously never used rubbish tools!

Unlucky mate, I guess we all get days like that :cry: :evil: but remember... tommorrow is another day and you have learned another lesson so you (and we) are a bit wiser today!!

Richard

Thanks for that Richard.

I've just asked the client if I can use their computer for a second just to say That I've finished that part of the job already.Hurrah. Amazing how quick things can progress with the right kit!

And you are so right Richard about working with rubbish tools, or at least tools that haven't been set up correctly, especially when you don't expect it....

Still, I'm sure this forum is full of people who have wierd and wonderful experiences with rubbish tools.... :lol:

Best get back to work now after I've finished this lovely cup of tea.They are so obliging on this job it's great!!! :D

Decklan

Lunch break now-honest,

No,I'm working back in blighty for my sins at the minute.Came back to do one job and that multiplied in to 3 etc,etc. I'm working in Richmond and Sheen in London, and the money is so good I can't say no. I'm trying to get enough money together to finish my workshop in France as once you start a buisness in France, It's really hard to make enough money for big outlay's as the buisness costs in France are so stupidly high :shock: . They never really mention that on the property programmes.

I go back and forward frequently on the plane. Can't wait to finish here in the big smoke tho',doing the M3 and M25 shuffle at 6am ain't my idea of fun, and really I'm just a country boy at heart.

Big towns for partying, countryside for livin' an' chillin'!!

Decklan

whoops!":3vukh6pw said:
They never really mention that on the property programmes.

They normally give the impression that France is a lovely country to live in. The "Punters" on those programmes all seem to have "independent means"

I've never been sure where the money comes from :)

BugBear

Back