best squares?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I am gutted that the squares that I have in the garage are all out of true - exposing a possible set of Christmas presents :) Looking at all the reviews of Veritas stuff I thought - ah ha, there's a company to trust however they don't seem to do any squares...

Who do you recommend for a really good set of squares (I was thinking of a smallish one for setting up saws etc and a bigger one for general working).

Many thanks

Miles

Moore & Wright engineers squares. Avoid woodworking squares with wooden stocks. They look nice but are usually out of square

I'll second M&W, a Grade B (workshop) one should do you.

Jason

Incra also do a really nice solid square. I have a small 6" engineers square from axminster that is dead on and inexpensive.

My engineers squares are all accurate using the flip over check. They are labelled Groz and are either from Axminster or Rutlands. Tilgear sell similar if not the same range.

I have one of these Chris Vesper squares and love it;

https://www.vespertools.com.au/index.ph ... &Itemid=34

3046622592_a46ff68927.jpg

Available from Classic Hand Tools.

Cheers, Ed

What about larger than 6"? For example, if I want to check that my 12" mitre saw is square to the fence, what should I be looking for? Workshop Heaven appear to have some nice Japanese ones - anybody tried one?

What about larger than 6

The M&W ones go upto 24" :wink: :D but at £577+Vat a bit pricy :(

For the mitre saw its best to cut a board then flip it over and see if there is a difference.

Jason

jasonB":17n3f5j8 said:
What about larger than 6

The M&W ones go upto 24" :wink: :D but at £577+Vat a bit pricy :(

I scored a minty 18" M&W grade A one on Ebay for a tenner or so, don't exactly really need it, but I couldn't resist.

I use the 150mm version of the Axminster engineers square which is fine for general cabinet work. As they are so reasonably priced I also have a 50mm (for the Tormek) and 300mm square which is useful for setting up the sliding fence on the K419 table saw - Rob

an engineers merchants is the way to go i think but go for the budget range (still pricey in workshop grade though) usually pretty damn good and accurate.

I have a 12" M&W and that says the 18" Groz from Axminster is OK. Much better price than an eng. industrial supplies company. According to Groz website they mfr. to the usual BS.

Some years back I bought an Ulmia 750mm Panel, for marking out. Very nice, all brass bound rosewood, which distorted by a mm or so over then next 2 years. It's been stable ever since.....but useless. Cost an arm at least, can't bear to lob it.

Sorby did a premium item also, with a brass I beam filled with 'rosewood' looked nice and also stable and made to .0005"/inch, twice the BS. Unfortunately the blade has a slight curve in it on 1 side, not immediately noticed....

Best buy eng. squares!

Does anyone have any views on Fisher (also sold by Tilgear). I need something to set up my scms/table saw/planer - I was thinking a 9" or 12" and the Fisher are half the price of M&W.

Cheers,

DT

Back