best squares?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My squares are useless but when I worked in engineering we used Moore & Wright, very good, also heard that the incra squares are very accurate.

For machine set ups in a wood 'shop the engineering metal squares from Axminster (or similar) are fine...I have the 300,150, 100 and 50mm squares. I 'spose that makes me a collector? :? The additional cost of a M&W square isn't warranted in a woodwork 'shop IMO - Rob

woodbloke":9ua7gnqs said:
For machine set ups in a wood 'shop the engineering metal squares from Axminster (or similar) are fine...I have the 300,150, 100 and 50mm squares. I 'spose that makes me a collector? :? The additional cost of a M&W square isn't warranted in a woodwork 'shop IMO - Rob

I'd go with Rob on this as well but if I was really concerned then I'd get two...one that could be adjusted and which I used on a daily basis and the other the best that I could afford and which I only ever took out of its' box in order to reset the first one.

Rob, Roger,

I like your thinking! I think I might go for a cheaper Fisher square for a starter as my skill probably doesn't warrant the M&W accuracy. I'm still puzzled why the Tilgear catalogue states that M&W are graded B for squareness and straightness; but Fisher are only grade B for squareness; I can't understand why you can have one without the other......but maybe I should let that one go!

DT

If you decide to go down the chaeper route, this set of squares from J+L is most definately worth a look. I bought 5 sets for the engineering workshop at school a while ago, and I find they're more than adequate for woodworking. Been meaning to buy myself a set for a while to be honest.

I must note that these squares are not certified, but from my experience they compare very well to the M+W squares that I have at school.

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/CGI/IN ... e=Pepcode=

Cheers

Aled

Aled Dafis Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you decide to go down the chaeper route, this set of squares from J+L is most definately worth a look. I bought 5 sets for the engineering workshop at school a while ago, and I find they're more than adequate for woodworking. Been meaning to buy myself a set for a while to be honest.

Thanks, I'll have a look although, I've other stuff to buy from Tilgear, so it may be a question of making up the £75 to avoid P&P.

cambournepete,

The M&W squares have a similar exponential increase in size; but, don't understand either!

DT

Latest posts

Back