Best Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
Not, I suspect, that I have a hope of ever affording it, but what is the best scroll saw money can buy? Is there a single machine that ticks all the boxes?

Jimi

i think you answered your own question in your last post, although although others may say different..

Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I will have to delay starting up my new hobby while I save up some more money for a Hegner. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on ebay...

Jimi.

Jimi
when funds allow (in 2 months) i will get the Axi AWFS18 £394 cant afford a Hegner :shock: after playing yesterday at the Axminster shop on a few of them this will be future proof i hope lol
Dave

Webby":txaozqyf said:
Jimi
when funds allow (in 2 months) i will get the Axi AWFS18 £394 cant afford a Hegner :shock: after playing yesterday at the Axminster shop on a few of them this will be future proof i hope lol
Dave

Hi Dave
Dont want to rain on your parade but , i also thought that when i bought it, unfortunately i had to send it back as i just couldn't get on with, even with the quick release knobs.
There are plenty out there though that love it, and good on them.

The Eclipse, made by Ernie Mellon in the US is the top of saws.
I have many customers who bought one and just love it.
It is also the most expensive saw you can buy but if you have the money, why not.
FD Mike

Steve
no problem :D if i could afford a new Hegner i would buy one .........have also tried the bay with no sucess always to far away from Gloucester ....especially if you factor in fuel costs and time to pick up :?

Dave

As I have stated on previous posts the Hegner is far superior to any chiwanese model and with the foot switch works absolutely bl**dy marvelous but I'm new to scrolling and am sure somebody will advise with their superior knowledge.

The customer sevice from Hegner UK is also excellent.

If you are looking to buy a scrollsaw I can def recommend Hegner.

M

PS The blades from Mikes Workshop are also excellent and the service is A1

Let's have an away day to Germany so we can evaluate the Harthie :) . Sorry, Mike, but it's more expensive than the Eclipse. Harthie have told me they are actively seeking to introduce their saw to the UK; I hope can get my hands on one at an early stage. Until then, I'm also advocating Hegners for British scrollers.

Gill, did you talk to any who has one or was able to try one.I talked to some in Germany and they cant tell me nothing about that saw. I hate to use one hand to turn the blade and one to move the wood,
FD Mike

OK ! Right ! ,so the Americans and the Germans have scroll saws which are beyond the reach of all but the rich or very foolish . At least that is what I can gather from what has been said so far .
I mean if the Eclipse is so great surly Mike would have one and by the same token our Gill would have the Harthie :mrgreen: although Gill has acknowledged that she has no reports as of yet .BUT is the fact that they are very expensive make them a better scroll saw , how can one justify buying one if they dont do any thing better than what we have at the moment .I know that at times I paid top money for tools and some made small difference until the edge wore off :oops: :oops: .
Seriously what should be expected from expensive new saws ,what would you expect for your money .

Good heavens, I'm not advancing the cause of the Harthie here! I'm merely saying I'd like to get my hands on one 8) . It's an interesting concept for a scroll saw, rotating the blade as you cut and I'd like to hear what it's like from somebody who is both independent and renowned.

To be honest, the thought of having valuable workshop floor space taken up by a large scroll saw in the same way as, say, a band saw doesn't thrill me. That's one reason why I'm still a fan of the Hegner. It would take a lot to persuade me that there's a better machine available for Brits, although I don't see why one couldn't be developed by an enterprising engineer. After all, it took Hegner years to catch up with the Diamond.

Sorry Gill,I wasn't trying to give the impression that you or Mike were promoting the saws that were mentioned ,what I was trying to get across was that if they were so good people like you could persuade someone like me to consider buying one .I dont know what the pecking order for scrollers is in the UK but for me the people on this forum carry the clout. So as far as I am concerned this is where I got all my advice and this is where I continue to ask for it.!!

webby your 394 for the axminster is the same price as a base model hegner, true the spec on your ax is about the same as a mid range hegner and a good looking clone the same mid hegner is about 700 , i guess my point is you can afford a hegner but it depends whether you want the higher spec on a lower quality machine or a lower spec on a higher quality machine.

i have a base model hegner had it for three years now and have no regrets the precision of the blade when in motion is second to none in my opinion.

it has paid for itself many times over with the craft work ive sold the axs look good although having never tried an ax i cant compare to the hegner.

if you need bigger throat and variable speed is a must then go for it but make sure your not getting a machine with a spec you will nver use is my advice.

ive cut thicknesses from 4mm to 35mm soft and hard on the hegner never needed variable speed just the correct blade.

but if you get the ax let us know how you get on with it

mark

Webby ,listen to what Mark is saying ,I did and do not regret it .If you can get the Hegner do so . My Euro's worth.

mac1012":1e17l58l said:
webby your 394 for the axminster is the same price as a base model hegner, true the spec on your ax is about the same as a mid range hegner and a good looking clone the same mid hegner is about 700 , i guess my point is you can afford a hegner but it depends whether you want the higher spec on a lower quality machine or a lower spec on a higher quality machine.

i have a base model hegner had it for three years now and have no regrets the precision of the blade when in motion is second to none in my opinion.

it has paid for itself many times over with the craft work ive sold the axs look good although having never tried an ax i cant compare to the hegner.

if you need bigger throat and variable speed is a must then go for it but make sure your not getting a machine with a spec you will nver use is my advice.

ive cut thicknesses from 4mm to 35mm soft and hard on the hegner never needed variable speed just the correct blade.

but if you get the ax let us know how you get on with it

mark
Mark thanks for input
each time i have looked at hegner they are usually over £500 for base model .....am i looking in the right places :oops:

i know that the hegner will probably be the better machine as regards ease of use and eventually selling if i give it up but i have looked on the bay there is one on there at the moment but it is £200+ at the mo with days to go do you think that would be a better investment ...with no guarantee that it is ok
I do need HELP lol ...so confused at the mo had a machine in mind when i went to Axi but having seen it in the flesh so to speak decided to hold on to my money and save for the £394 machine now i dont know which way to go (sixes and sevens) lol
if you could reply on this thread where to go to get machine ...i am sure it would help alot of people

many thanks for all input and sorry for hijacking this thread

Dave :O)

Dave actually had his eyes on a generic type of scroll saw at the beginning of the week because those were all that lay within his budget. Wisely, he took a trip to Axminster and tried out their range of saws to see what would suit him. In the end he decided that the AWFS18 was his preferred saw even though it was outside his budget and that it would be prudent to save for another couple of months so he could buy a saw which would please him. I have a lot of sympathy for his quandary because he's never tried a Hegner but he has tried an AWFS18 and found he likes it. Is there anyone here who has tried a Hegner Multicut 1, a Hegner Multicut SE and an AWFS18? I've tried both the Hegners but never the latter. What we really need is someone who can give Dave the benefit of their experience using all three machines.

In the absence of such a person coming forward, I would be loathe to make any comments which would discourage Dave from acquiring the AWFS18. There comes a point when the important thing is to get a saw and start making sawdust! Moreover, it sounds as if the AWFS18 is unlikely to disappoint him even though a Hegner may have the potential to delight him. I'm just relieved he had the gumption to try a few saws and see for himself that there really is a huge gulf in the quality between entry-level saws and mid/top range saws. I can't help but wonder if a number of people read these threads with a view to buying their first saw and think, "It's all right for those who can afford swish Hegners to sneer at cheaper models, but they're all I can afford". Here we have a newcomer who has examined the range of entry-level saws and decided that the snobs actually have a point!

http://www.hegner.co.uk/Hegner_Multicut_1

there you go dave all info should be here base model 395

well i would go with hegner but like i said depends what you need saw for if you need the extra throat size and variable , what i mean is you really do need it do you think you need it ?

i would get the quick release blade clamp 9( you would need it for the axe)

i've just cut 40mm thick maple on hegner i had a size 9 blade and managed it fine.

now then ebay well thats a risk in my opinion the machines on their are at usually 15 - 20 years old you can tell if old machine as got white plastic tube for dust blower if you look at the link the new ones have blue plastic bendy hose which is much better

also you have quick release tension on new base one you don't get that on old style base model.

you can get some bargains i saw a mint box one that was ten year old once but it went for nearly price of a new one !!

i know someone on here brought of ebay and it broke straight away think he got spare part but thats the risk you take you may get a bargain you may not

i cant see sense in paying 250 for a 20 year old machine where for another 150 you get a brand new one

you sometimes see the mid range ones which are variable speed and bigger table they might be more of a bargain i will have a look and see if i can see the ones you are on about on ebay.

also on the link i given you have a look at the section , why variable speed ?

may answer your question.

hope this helps

mark

Gill , my original point was to highlight to dave that a hegner wasnt out of his reach as he wrongly thought a base model hegner was over 500.

in my experience and from what ive read on here about the ax i would go with the hegner.

the build and quality is far better in my opinion.Having said that im sure the ax is a fairly good saw.

mark

I'm not disagreeing with you in any respect, Mark - merely pointing out that Dave's budget originally ran to a generic saw in the region of £200 and he's already upped his funds considerably having experienced the AWFS18. There's a limit to how far a budget can be stretched, especially when it means compromising on features. For all we know, a variable speed control might be very important to Dave.

One thing that is certain is he knows he will not be happy with a generic saw. It would be nice if we could help him find out if a Hegner would leave him in Nirvana, but I'm not sure that's within the capabilities of this forum :) .

Back