Best Mitre Saw under £350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simou1":2w9ntdyv said:
Obey your wife! I have the Kapex 120 and it is a superb saw. Accurate, cuts like glass and probably the best dust extraction of any SCMS. It is a delight to use and engineered and made to the highest quality. I doubt that the KS60 will be any different and I am going to look at one once my local dealer gets stock.

But caution, I am a Festool fanboy I am afraid ( apart from the Jigsaws which are pants) so take what I say with that in mind! But the beauty of Festool is that you can use it for 15 days, check it meets all your needs and if not, return it for a full refund.

If you do like the look of the Metabo, and I have several of their tools and am delighted with them, then may I suggest Amazon who have one in their Warehouse deals, as well as new, and have an excellent returns system should it not come up to spec.

Yes, it's also double his budget price, and he's already said that it's not going to get heavy regular use!

Even i can't justify the cost of most Festool products and I'm a professional that uses these tools quite heavily!

..if you are "loaded, ie money no object, buy the most expensive saw you can afford...

....if not just buy the Metabo.....by the sound of it it will do what you want, and at a good price that leaves plenty over for a saw stand..(you will really need one of these if you intend cutting "long" pieces...

...I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Metabo..

...just do it....I can't stand the suspense any longer...!!

If you are loaded, you did not get that way by wasting money on over expensive items, its not until you become mega loaded that you buy frivolous things.

Mike

Sorry ive not seen it for 450 i rounded down from 464 ive seen it for on toolfest. (tend to do that with festool stuff haha)

I honestly think £450 is cheap for the festool if it lives up to their other gear

People on here saying they cant afford it as professionals id say if you are a professional using a mitre saw heavy i wouldn't use anything other than a kapex.. You cant afford not to, its the only mitre saw on the market with good dust collection.

For me dust control is a must im in my 30s and non smoker. Before i started buying machines with good dust extraction and using a dust extractor on every tool i was waking up at night coughing

I know a few guys in their 60s with lung conditions due to carpentry and now have a poor quality of life. Put yourself at 60. Would you wish youd spent the extra 100 pounds?

..yep..the Festool looks like the dogs dangly bits to me.

If you want to spend that sort of money its probably the one I would go for. Just the original post said under £350 and this seems to be £450+VAT, so not really a fair comparison with a 200 quid Metabo?

..you pays your money...etc......

Stevebod":121bk2w3 said:

If you want to spend that sort of money its probably the one I would go for. Just the original post said under £350 and this seems to be £450+VAT, so not really a fair comparison with a 200 quid Metabo?

I'd be tempted at a 10" Festool for £450+vat (£540 inc)... but not everyone can get it at that kind of price and some people, (me included) dislike buying online from 'bobs online building tools' because of the hassle if it needs to go back for whatever reason!
Buy from a shop and if anything is wrong you just walk back in and dump it on the counter!

For the purposes of suggesting tools Ive been working to rrp prices. As I said £700 rrp for the kapex is double the op's budget!

because of the hassle if it needs to go back for whatever reason!
Buy from a shop and if anything is wrong you just walk back in and dump it on the counter!

There would be no hassle involved if you decided to go the Festool route. One of the reasons you're paying a premium price is partly for the service offered. There's no need to return it anywhere. I believe Festool offer a collect and return service at no extra charge, should a tool need repairing. Far quicker turnaround anyway than having to go through the retailer.

MWood":3pi69udu said:
Stevebod":3pi69udu said:

I'd be tempted at a 10" Festool for £450+vat (£540 inc)... but not everyone can get it at that kind of price and some people, (me included) dislike buying online from 'bobs online building tools' because of the hassle if it needs to go back for whatever reason!

For the purposes of suggesting tools Ive been working to rrp prices. As I said £700 rrp for the kapex is double the op's budget!

its £464 with vat for the new ks60 and you wont find better after care than with festool some manufactures mess you around, with festool you can expect it to be be collected fixed and back to you in no time, also its a 3 year warranty they keep parts for 10 years and if its stolen in those first 3 years they will replace it for 100 quid.

I really don't know what all the fuss is about, my Makita cuts accurate mitres and the quality of the cut is down to the blade not the machine, a bit of DPC and it collects the dust just as well as any other machine, it just seems to me that most Festool fanzines need to justify their expenditure to themselves, give it a break guys.

Mike

I'm no Festool fanboy but I've got to say it, you won't find a scms with better dust extraction. It really is quite exceptional.

I will have to take a video next time I'm down in France of the exceptional dust extraction on my modified Makita, its amazing what a decent vacuum and a bit of DPC can do, especially with a multi tooth blade that gives such a clean cut.

Mike

Im no festool fanboy i only have a few festool tools. I have a mix of tools and machines from the best i can afford when its important and gets used every day to parkside stuff than gets pulled out once or twice a year.

Ive had buyer's remorse with a lot of tools and machines but you would have to pry the kapex from my cold dead hands

Been doing carpentry on and off for around 16 years and used a lot of mitre saws...The kapex is hands down the best mitre saw on the market right now nothing else touches it for accuracy or dust extraction. You may have modified your makita to get better dust extraction but off the shelf it was probably terrible.

Given i spent 900 on my kapex and its been worth every penny i think the ks60 is hard not to recommend.especially given the price of the saws listed above around the £350 to £400 range

With a vacuum fitted to the Makita the extraction was very very good, extending the rear blade cuff with a piece of DPC it became exceptional the equal of any Kapex I have seen or used, for accuracy it is up with the best including the Kapex, that is why you would pay a premium for this model on e-bay for a second hand unit, they are just not sold off.

Mike

Sorry to go off topic a bit,

A friend at work said Festool quality & engineering is the best out there but said he has made a couple of school boy errors by replacing a couple of his Makita battery operated tools like Combi drills & replaced them for Festool, he said the quality of the drill is second to none but the performance of the drill will never match the Dewalts, Makita's or Milwaukee.

Norfolk75":31f9brgg said:
you get a better answers from members on here who seem to have a lot more knowledge.

Unfortunately, I think you're wrong there. Professional woodworkers tend to be pretty agnostic when it comes to tool brands, they understand that ultimately it's their own skill that really counts. But many hobbyists get very worked up and defensive about their equipment choices. Consequently you get a lot of entrenched "fan boy" responses that don't help you much.

£350 is a decent budget, mitre saws are a really competitive part of the market, so for that amount of money you can be fairly confident that whatever you get will do what you need it to do. My advice would be to flip a coin, learn how to get the best out of whatever you buy, and then crack on with actually making stuff!

custard":j5rcf2yk said:
Norfolk75":j5rcf2yk said:
you get a better answers from members on here who seem to have a lot more knowledge.

Unfortunately, I think you're wrong there. Professional woodworkers tend to be pretty agnostic when it comes to tool brands, they understand that ultimately it's their own skill that really counts. But many hobbyists get very worked up and defensive about their equipment choices. Consequently you get a lot of entrenched "fan boy" responses that don't help you much.

£350 is a decent budget, mitre saws are a really competitive part of the market, so for that amount of money you can be fairly confident that whatever you get will do what you need it to do. My advice would be to flip a coin, learn how to get the best out of whatever you buy, and then crack on with actually making stuff!

Spot on Custard

I have no allegiance to any brand just any tool that is up to the job and lasts will do. Metabo, Dewalt Makita, Elu, Lamelo etc etc they all make good gear if you get the right models.

Back on subject use an old Elektra Beckum KGS 300 and it's been spot on from day one. Think Metabo bought them out as I saw an identical model in their colours. From the looks of the replies they still make good mitre saws.

..has the OP made a decision yet?.....the suspense is killing me and I can't sleep at night.....

Stevebod":3nl8913c said:
..has the OP made a decision yet?.....the suspense is killing me and I can't sleep at night.....

Apologies for late replies.

I wanted a Mitre Saw but wanted a table saw too then I wanted a table saw but would be gutted I didn't have the Mitre Saw so in the end I purchased a product a Makita mitre & table saw in one & what a machine this is.

Yes for the money I could've bought a top quality Mitre Saw or even a top quality table saw & had my reservations but this is absolutely great for what I need it for. I've not started my project as yet but have cut a few bits of timber and it does what it says on the tin and how easy it is to use is brilliant.

Will keep you more posted when I start my project.

Back