Best glues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest does the type of wood have any bearing on the glue you use?

In some circumstances...yes indeed!

Some woods are bug*ers to glue together because of the inherent oils in them...I find teak is like this and certain cedars and lignum vitae. Here you have to use the joint as the strength and the glue which suits the wood.

Colour may also be a factor for darker woods...there are some tinted glues which are less visible and easier to clean up. Watch out too for waterproof glue cleanup...stain does not take to overspill.

On the subject of CA viscosity....there is a wealth of info in the model maker sites on this...a good CA is heaven to use...a cheap one is useless.

You mention hot glue...something I had forgotten about...I have a gas hot glue gun and it is fantastic...sometimes nothing else will work except hot glue..you can get PVA in hot glue too...that's fun stuff!

Horses for courses mate but your summary is pretty much spot on!

Jim

"Horses for courses" - good analogy Jim, you can waste a lot of money backing the wrong horse.
Checking the www looks like oily woods such as teak benefit from a dressing of Acetone then leave it for a couple of minutes before applying the glue - generally epoxy.
Thanks for the link Mark - very interesting discussion.

Back