Best finish for walnut and ash jewellery boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice, please

I've just made some very simple jewellery boxes, two in walnut and two in ash. I'd like a finish that brings out the colour and grain of the wood.

Normally, I seal wood with some thin coats of diluted varnish, then apply a couple of coats of home-made wax polish (beeswax, carnauba wax and turps). I'm wondering if just the wax alone would give a better finish. Or do they still need some form of sealing coat as well?

Whatever I use, is it worthwhile giving them a finishing coat of renaissance wax as well, just to protect them?

Thanks

you will need a sealing coat or the wax will just sink in. and in. and in. personally, i like a few coats of tru-oil on walnut and a bit of wax on top. It wont be a million miles removed from your existing finish.

sanding sealer and wax will work, but wont enhance the grain. it may be better for the ash, to retain the light colour.

renaissance is harder wearing than the others, and resists fingermarks better. I havent used it on boxes, but it would be appropriate. you would lose the smell of your home made stuff, so horses for courses. Personally, I would prefer to apply the home made wax a bit more often and enjoy the smell.

If you are making the boxes for gifts or sale then the use of a microcrystalline wax would provide a longer lasting handling and moisture resistant finish.
This would only be of maximum advantage if used on its own over a cured oil finish or maybe over a sealer and carnauba wax.
As Bees wax melts at hand temperature any large proportion of it in a base coat may negate any advantage of the higher melting point of Microcrystalline.

If you have a look at the stuff in my Bits & Pieces link they are predominantly finished in cellulose sanding sealer and Carnauba or Microcrystalline wax.

But the high gloss may not be what you prefer and oil alone might suit better, do you have access to a hard wax oil to try on a sample, that can give the results of grain enhancement with a more robust surface more suitable for constant handling.

Thanks for the replies, people.

The boxes are for presents, so it sounds like I need to give them one or two thin coats of varnish, then apply some wax. Maybe finish with a coat of microcrystalline wax as well, since I have some.

OK, now I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again

Well, here's one of them (if I can remember how to post an image)

One coat of diluted varnish, cut back to 360 grit, then two coats of "Ian's Patent Beeswax". The finish is as I wanted it, so thanks for the advice

[img ][/img]

(The workmanship isn't perfect, but it's only the second bandsaw box I've made.....)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back