Best Filler to Use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouser

Reaction score
Hello

I want to make a chopping board from old pine. I dont have the kit or skill to make two nice clean edges to butt up against each other. I will have a small gap where the boards meet and so I was wondering if there is a filler that I could use that will be ok for such use aqnd that I can sand and treat with suitable chopping board oil?

Thanks

Hi, Scouser

In a word no, any filler you use will probably fall out, chopping boards get wet and the wood will expand and loosen the filler.
You only don’t have the skill because you haven’t learnt the skill, all you need is a plane, give it a go and if you get problems tell us and we will help.

Pete

Easiest way to proceed:
Take the two bits to be joined, and clamp them together with both the edges that are going to be joined upwards.

Plane these two edges flush and flat.

Unclamp them and glue up so that the two faces that were touching in the clamp are now on opposite sides of the workpiece.

Repeat as required...

It may not end up perfectly square, but you can tidy that up once you finish gluing up.

Thanks Jelly I would have been planing them seperate :-(

That opens a new question then. What would be the best glue to use bearing in mind the chopping board use

Scouser":3c7wmvu9 said:
Thanks Jelly I would have been planing them seperate :-(

That opens a new question then. What would be the best glue to use bearing in mind the chopping board use

You can individually plane them flat and square by hand, it just takes a bit more patience and attention to detail to get it just so for a good joint...

Back