best buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
evening gents,

just thought i would share what my evening swag bag contained,
normally i search ebay for that secret deal or gem but i thought id have a quick look on gumtree and there was an add for the stanley and record plane, to cut a long story short i went to his house and these tools where his dads and he didnt want them. aswell as what was on gum tree he had a table full of bits and bobs chisels planes, blocks, saw ect. i played it cool as i wanted to drool all over the place and i walked away a very happy chappy,
this lot came to £60

comments welcome..
the record 5 1/2 needs alot of work but will clean up nice and i havent restored a plane in a while so why not.

TT

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 1-1 copy.JPG
    photo 1-1 copy.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,150
But not very much money!
The bronze bullnose would sell for over a ton and weren't you pricing scraper planes a few days ago?

Very nice haul. And you say there was more as well?

That's what the guy asked for so I was happy to pay without haggling, he was happy, I was happy, thank makes a good transaction by my accounts.Ye I was just curious about what someone would pay for one of those.

Those type of bullnose planes only go for about £30 on fleabay but what makes you think it's worth so much more just intrested so I know for future purchases?

Ye he had a stanley 51/2 wants £10 for it
Union 103 block with lateral adjuster
Stanley LA block with adjuster wheel
102 block
A few mortice chisels
Brass back saw
Yankee screwdrivers
Hand scrapers
Bits and bobs

Safe to say I brought the better stuff.
TT

Sorry I was wrong on the bull nose.
I just checked completed listings and you are right.

Thanks for the info Andy, with the 112 I'm going to buy a replacement iron for it what would you reccomend? I know the LN has a large scraper plane based on its predeseser.
Has anyone upgraded their 112? If so with what and the outcome
Cheers
TT

Not a bad buy!
I think I'd do exactly the same TT.
I earn my money, people let things go to clear out. Last week I got a great deal from Ebay for £5.30; the guy was disappointed it didn't realise more but accepted it was a deal. We had a good chat & both left amicably.
I sell off the cheap stuff & do up & use where I can. I have some very nice bits that won't be going anywhere, & I don't pay much.
I have told a charity shop before that the camera in the window was a Hasselblad worth £800 (they pulled it & sold at auction for £850). I could have had it for a tenner. My ethics have a ceiling though:)

kreed":1xoiumhh said:
Not a bad buy!
I think I'd do exactly the same TT.
I earn my money, people let things go to clear out. Last week I got a great deal from Ebay for £5.30; the guy was disappointed it didn't realise more but accepted it was a deal. We had a good chat & both left amicably.
I sell off the cheap stuff & do up & use where I can. I have some very nice bits that won't be going anywhere, & I don't pay much.
I have told a charity shop before that the camera in the window was a Hasselblad worth £800 (they pulled it & sold at auction for £850). I could have had it for a tenner. My ethics have a ceiling though:)

thanks kreed,
and thats how business is done as long as two or more people part ways happy its fair game.
i do the same i havent really paid for a tools in a long time as i sell what i dont want or use and so on, keeping the good, out of this lot ill sell the spokeshaves and either the bull or record,

ive spoke to the guy and am picking up a few other bits he has sunday, ill re sell all what i get. im saving for that norris A1 :)

TT

Have you worked out how old that scraper is Toby?

From here, all I can tell is that it comes from the squashed knob period. Are the handles Rosewood?

Richard T":1644f8ca said:
Have you worked out how old that scraper is Toby?

From here, all I can tell is that it comes from the squashed knob period. Are the handles Rosewood?

Heya Richard,
Haven't dated it 100% yet will do so when I have the time later as I'm of to Southampton in a min.
The tote and low knob are rosewood yes,
According to blood and gore the earlier 112 has a bead on the front knob my doesn't. And mine does have 112 cast on it.
If anyone can help I would be greatful in dating this. Or a link
Thanks
TT

Hi TT

That's a dam good haul, I have that little Preston spoke shave and its a good one, a bit tricky to get the hang of but when you do wow.
The Record 5 1/2 SS looks like the front knob is Rosewood is the tote rosewood as well?

Pete

Thans Pete,
The tote is stained beach, I've cleaned it up just waiting to get the paint and it will look like new, it has a marples iron and a record SS breaker. I'll sharpen up when I'm home and have a test run, just been to South Hampton and got 4 infill planes :))))
I'm an addict :(

Thanks for the heads up with the spoke but I have bit the LN bogg spokes so will just put it away for now I like it's look
Has almost all it's nickel plateing

TT

tobytools":o50n6c0d said:
...the record 5 1/2 needs alot of work but will clean up nice and i havent restored a plane in a while so why not.

tobytools":o50n6c0d said:
The tote is stained beach, I've cleaned it up just waiting to get the paint and it will look like new, it has a marples iron and a record SS breaker.
Is that a 2 3/8" iron or the earlier 2 1/4" iron?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3ofe55gm said:
tobytools":3ofe55gm said:
...the record 5 1/2 needs alot of work but will clean up nice and i havent restored a plane in a while so why not.

tobytools":3ofe55gm said:
The tote is stained beach, I've cleaned it up just waiting to get the paint and it will look like new, it has a marples iron and a record SS breaker.
Is that a 2 3/8" iron or the earlier 2 1/4" iron?

Cheers, Vann.

alright vann,

the iron is 2 1/4.
i was going to pm you about it a i remember you have a few of these bad boys.

so the the last owner replace it with the marples iron or is there a reason for this.
my thinking is its a frank-enplane.

my no 6 had rose wood knob and been tote also, is that because of bottom of the barrel. (wast not want not)

cheers
TT

Wonderful bargain haul and totally fair price.

I too feel that if someone is happy selling something for a price and you are happy to buy it then it's a fair deal. If you get a bargain in the process then so be it!!

I too would love to see the four infills. Sounds intriguing!

Jimi

jimi43":211kya08 said:
Wonderful bargain haul and totally fair price.

I too feel that if someone is happy selling something for a price and you are happy to buy it then it's a fair deal. If you get a bargain in the process then so be it!!

I too would love to see the four infills. Sounds intriguing!

Jimi

ill post pics of infill in the next day or so been a wild weekend and ive actually been doing woodwork lol,
hopefully i get some nice comment in the infills, the guy who was selling has like 10 bullnose planes left brass and steel, and a huge ebony infill shoulder plane and a brass one,

i also got a chance to hold a stanley no1
sweeeeeeet. i cant believe how small it really is

TT

Back