best buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the topic of not paying much I once got a wood kingsize bed plus mattress (before I made the one I have now - kept the mattress) that had only been used in spare room a few times on ebay for £10.50 it ended up at - he even agreed to deliver it, BUT once he got here I felt a bit guilty so gave him £30, still a steal at that price.

tobytools":2qh48wuq said:
The tote is stained beach, I've cleaned it up just waiting to get the paint and it will look like new, it has a marples iron and a record SS breaker.
tobytools":2qh48wuq said:
so the the last owner replace it with the marples iron or is there a reason for this.
my thinking is its a frank-enplane.
Record changed the 05½ from 2¼" to 2⅜" around 1938-39, so it's pre-WW2 and both handles should be rosewood. If yours has a beech tote it's probably a replacement (we all know how totes crack).

I can't think of any reason to change the iron, other than the original was worn down. Another possibility is in a school or workshop situation, irons might get mixed between planes.

If there are no other odd bits and pieces, other than the Marples iron, then it's not a frankenplane. What sort of condition is it in (other than dead paint)? I recently bought a No.4½ that had a Record 2¼" iron (with 2⅜" cap-iron), so you might be able to persuade me to swap irons, if it will complete an otherwise original plane.

WIP photos please?

Cheers, Vann.

I have a Record No5 with odd handles, I thing they where using up old stock rather than it being a replacement.
I wouldn't accept a Beech replacement tote, I would glue up the Rosewood one.

Pete

Back