Bent my drill!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamB

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a makita 18v cordless set that I have always felt to be fantastic.

However, I was using the drill (three speed combi) the other day with a hole saw (113mm i think) and now the chuck seems to be slightly off centre.

It was my first go with a hole saw and I may have gone a little fast and it did catch a couple of times but I would have thought the drill should be able to cope with more force than my wrists?!

The drill is more than a year old so outside of warranty but just wanted to understand whether I am expecting too much of it, any thoughts?

Graham
PS been using the impact driver to joist, noggin and ply my bathroom floor and it's the DB's

Hi,

Is the chuck tight? thats the first thing I would check. I have dropped my 12V makitas several times and they have been o/k.

Impacts are great!!

Pete

Initially thought it was just the hole saws not being correctly centered on the auger but when using it slowly with just a normal drill bit noticed that the chuck was off center slightly (could feel it brushing intermittently against my hand). Do not think it will stop the drill from being serviceable ,unless accuracy with large bits is important, but I was surprised that it could happen.

If you remove the chuck and reseat it that might solve the problem.

Roy.

Roy,

Thanks for the suggestion, any idea on how you do that?

Cheers

Graham

Open the chuck fully and look inside. At the base you should find a screw, these normally have a LEFT HAND thread.
With this removed the chuck should unscrew in the normal direction.

Roy.

Back