Benoit Averly homage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do a fair bit of reading here but not much posting, thought that as I actually had a few spare hours last weekend (SWMBO Xmas shopping) I ought to make something.

A guy at our club made a couple of these Benoit Averly boxes so thought I'd give it a crack. There are a couple of 'marks' in the photo's that aren't there in the flesh, plus I've adjusted the colour, contrast etc slightly to try and better show the carving. In reality it's very black (blue is a reflection) and slightly shiny.

Made from sycamore and about 30cm (12") tall.

Cheers,

Neil.

Very nice Neil :D :D :D :D :D

The carving is very consistent and the overall effect is stunning. Really floats my boat :!: :!:

Mike C

Hi Neil,
I like this a lot, the shape is pleasing to the eye, the colour contrast is quite marked, and the carving works well. =D>

Malc :D

Lovely work, both turning and carving. The contrast works really well and the design is great. In case I wasn't clear, I like 'em a lot :lol:

Pete

Very nice work Neil. You've made a really good job of the carving :D , it has that 'just right' look to it 8)
What did you use to do the carving?

JT

Appreciate the well balanced carving detail Neil , subtle texturing enhancing what could otherwise be a bland form.

That really is excellent work, Looks as good as the original design.
Did you use spray ebonising, or something else?

John. B

Hi All,

Thanks for the incredibly supportive comments - I don't really show or sell work, it's just a hobby I don't have enough time for at the moment. Hopefully when I retire, if the age isn't 90 by the time I get there, I'll be able to do a bit more.

In answer to your questions;

Nothing else to post at the moment, but I've got some long weekends booked soon!

The colouring is Chestnut Ebonising spray, three coats denibbed with wirewool after each coat, then a single coat of Chestnut Gloss spray finish.

The carving was done freehand with a Dremel, using the flexi-drive attachment that converts it from rotary to percussive action.

Cheers,

Neil.

Outstanding Neil !

I'm sure Benoit would be delighted himself with that finish !

Very Very nice.

Loz

Neil
Very nice, an interesting challenge and a good use of materials!

Can you help by identifying what the accessorie is that creates the percussive carving action - I can't immediately locate it.

Thanks for the ideas.

OW

We're all going to want to try this Neil, it's really stunning. I would be well pleased with myself if I had produced that :wink:

LW

OldWood":1pxq835a said:
Neil
Very nice, an interesting challenge and a good use of materials!

Can you help by identifying what the accessorie is that creates the percussive carving action - I can't immediately locate it.

Thanks for the ideas.

OW

Axminster do a reciprocating shaft that fits on most dremel type drills.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Flexible-Shaft-Carver-for-Multi-Tools-20003.htm

Or you could go for the whole kit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21208.htm

Can't find the dremel one at Axminster though.

Cheers

Aled

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your comments.

I haven't been out to the workshop but I'm pretty sure that I've got the Axminster flexi-drive with the five chisels as mentioned above by Aled.

Cheers,

Neil.

Back