• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

bendy 'stick' that holds its shape - for metalwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing and if so what's it called?
I'm trying to mock up, not so much a template, but an example to follow of bended(?) metal tube to make some engine guard / crash bars for a bike.
Currently using 5 or 6mm bar which works to a point but deforms a bit too much when re shaping after bending too much etc.
The final product will be 25mm-ish tube which I can bend in work on the rollers.

I've seen flexi rulers but is there a cunning device that I've missed?

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
This might do the job - look up POWERTEC 71056 Flexible Curve Template on Amazon

The alternative is one of these, I think you can get shorter ones as well. You have to screw them down so not sure if it would work for what you want, “CMT TMP-1200 Flexible Template for Curved and Arched Routing, 15/32 X 15/32-Inch”

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Boatbuilders use a sort of pattern that looks a bit like a huge bicykle chain made from short flat bars screwed together. That pattern is used for roughing out sawn frames to be fitted into an already planked clinker hull. Unfortunately I do not know what it is called in Englesh but in Swedish we say "ledmall".

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
What about joining several flexible coolant pipes together ?
Its whether they are stiff enough to hold their shape though...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers folks.

I think Coley may have nailed with the pipes as they'll go '3D' and if all else fails I can use them in work for their intended purposes afterwards.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Latest posts