Benchtop Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy a benchtop bandsaw for mainly ripping stuff generally no bigger than 4 in softwood. I can't fit a table saw in my shed or a larger bandsaw because all the floor area is taken up, and I don't use big chunks of wood anyway. Otherwise I would have definitely bought something like a Startrite 352 secondhand.

I've found a few bandsaws, all with similar specs, the Scheppach Basato 1, the Metabo BAS260 Swift, the Axminster AWHBS250N and the Record Power BS250, plus the Dewalt DW738/739 but can't decide between them.

I've read that the Axminster one has a poor fence and the bearings on the Record Power failure prematurely? The Dewalt has a deeper and wider cut than the others but that isn't really an issue, it's just the cost and availability. I know that I'll have to get some new Tuffsaw blades and generally tinker with it before it's true and accurate anyway, no matter which one I get.

Has anyone had any experience of these before I commit myself and buy one?

Thanks
Mark

I had the Dewalt, or at least its Elu predecessor, about 25 years ago. My brother has it now. It's all right as far as it goes. I wouldn't want to cut much 4" stock with it though!
A significant weakness, though, is the fence. It clamps fore and aft, so you have to be very careful to get the thing squared up, it doesn't self-align.
But I had mine for many years and was happy with it.
HTH
S

Hi Steve

I know the small ones aren't great so I'm not expecting perfection, but I just haven't got the space to get a bigger better one.

4" is the maximum I would ever cut with it, and that won't be very often anyway. I've narrowed it down to the Axminster, Record Power and the SIP now.

Thanks

Mark

Hi I have a record Power 250 and it has been my right arm for the last 4 years.
I have changed 2 bearings on the blade guide in that time. Like most tools ,follow the rules and you should be ok.
I would change it if I had room, but only for a bigger record.
Willy.

Back