Bench top jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverline version looks identical , in which case 50% of the Amazon reviews are 5*, 18% are 1* and some of those are valid and some are just useless gripes.

Like I said, for what it is and the money it costs it does a job and the job it does will, for some people, suffice.

No doubt it will do the job for some just fine, and I hope it works for you.

The only reason I replied to your comment was because you made it out like I was doing something wrong, or incapable of setting things up properly... yet you managed.

"if you're capable of tightening a nut."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"if you're capable of tightening a nut."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haha, no I meant that the fence wasn't really a complex job, so adjusting it shouldn't put someone off. Second attempt I have got mine to 90deg, so I shall never ever touch it again unless it slips.

Far too many Americanisms creeping into our language. :eek:

I'd argue Jointer makes more sense than Planer. As you're generally flattening, to then make an edge perpendicular to it for jointing.

Planer : To make a face flat, and/or to make one edge perpendicular (or some other angle) to a face.
Thicknesser : Used to either bring material down to a specific thickness, add/or to to make it parallel along it's width.

So clearly it should be called a FlatteningPerpendiculingThicknessingParalleliser or FPTP.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Mike :), the term 'jointer' is appropriate if the infeed table has that extension. It was used to cut the wood for joints - rebates. Nowadays most people don't know why it is there - I only discovered this a few years ago!

Without it, it should be called a planer - just because!!!

_MG_0383.jpg

I think it should defo still be called a P/T Planker/Transmogrifcator

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Mike :), the term 'jointer' is appropriate if the infeed table has that extension. It was used to cut the wood for joints - rebates. Nowadays most people don't know why it is there - I only discovered this a few years ago!

Without it, it should be called a planer - just because!!!

View attachment 92355
That is for rebating, not as the US would have it forming a rabit.

Triton appear to have just released a bench top planer available at Yandles
https://www.yandles.co.uk/triton-1100w-surface-planer-152mm-6/p26288
As it's new I cannot find much information about it online. Does anyone know if it's a clone of a machine from recent past?

I rate their Thicknesser, and at £219 could compliment similar machines quite nicely.

Thats interesting. Not even on their own website.

I like the fact that it appears to be a different design to the others. So hopefully better made and has adjustability.

I wonder what the infeed/outfeed tables are made of? ... I'd have hoped aluminium, but they look like maybe pressed steel? which won't be good.

Thats interesting. Not even on their own website.

I like the fact that it appears to be a different design to the others. So hopefully better made and has adjustability.

I wonder what the infeed/outfeed tables are made of? ... I'd have hoped aluminium, but they look like maybe pressed steel? which won't be good.
It is on their website, but for some reason it isn’t listed under the ‘bench top’ category. I found it under ‘power tools’. It does appear to be aluminium.

Back