Bench sander - Axminster or Record?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugal

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to get a bench sander, it's primary use is going to be for box making, but I am sure that I will end up using it for a lot more than that.

I have a budget of £200 and I have been looking at these models:

Record BDS150 (6" disc, 4" belt) £90 (no included mitre)
Record BDS250 (10" disc, 6" belt) £250 (bit outside my price range)
Axminster AS408 (8" disc, 4" belt) £104
Axminster AWEBDS610 (10" disc, 6" belt) £189 (inc stand)

Working on the You Get What You Pay For principle I have been staying away from any brands that do not get talked about in glowing terms on these forums ;)

I have had a look through the back posts and I can not see any reviews of these tools. If anyone has used any of these could they please let me know if they are any good.

I presume that with the disc sander you can only ever use half of the width of the disc at any one time, i.e. if you have a 6" disc you can only ever put items of up to 2.5" against the disc. As I will be using the disc to make accurate mitre joints that would mean that I could only make boxes up to 2.5" high on a 6" disc?

Are bench sanders like every other tool: Find what you think you want, then buy the next one up?

Is the extra 85 quid worth it to go from an 8" disc to a 10" disc?

Hi Frugal, I was thinking of posting a very similar question (and with those manufacturers). I already have a belt sander so am wondering whether a dedicated disc sander rather than the combo would be a better/more versatile option - maybe for you as well? I have in the past held my bosch belt sander upside down in the vice and used it as a stationary sander.

for a disc sander I am considering -
perform CCDS12 = 300mm disc, £88 in the sale
Axminster white DS12DL 300mm £142.40 in the sale

both give a bigger disc for less money.

At the D&M show I did look at the Draper which was at a good price, but the poor finish of the casting put me completely off it - even when a 'walk away' further (I won't say desperate) reduction was offered.

I'm sure that Good Wood did a review on disc and disc/belt sanders some time ago but i can't find it - maybe Andy will summarise the findings (If i recall there were two camps - those for the flexibility of the combination and those in favour of specific function)

I will get the dedicated disc sander, partly based on my needs and because it also takes up less space. Purchase is a few months off due to holiday and daughter's wedding!

Don't forget that, if you have a lathe, you could turn a plywood disc and stick self-adhesive abrasive paper on to that. You'd have to make up some kind of supporting table-bed as well but, it might save even more space.

That's what I plan to do - whenever I can find the space for a lathe! :)

OPJ":392wkckn said:
Don't forget that, if you have a lathe, you could turn a plywood disc and stick self-adhesive abrasive paper on to that. You'd have to make up some kind of supporting table-bed as well but, it might save even more space.

That's what I plan to do - whenever I can find the space for a lathe! :)
good point Olly - I actually did that with my old record lathe but typically found other ways of sanding rather than set up the disc and table. I will give it some thought as I now have the CL4 variable speed so it may be more versatile than a fixed speed disc

I have this one:

Axminster AWEBDS610 (10" disc, 6" belt) £189 (i didn't buy/want the stand)

And after using a cheaper 4" belt with 6" wheel for years before this, I can only say that this is the rolls royce to tmy old fiat 126!!!

I looked at the Record and SIP (at Aminster show last year) and neither are any better than the Axminster, and in areas, the Axminster is slightly better than both of them in my opiion.

One highly chuffed owner!

Tony":kd2lyhn5 said:
I have this one:

Axminster AWEBDS610 (10" disc, 6" belt) £189 (i didn't buy/want the stand)

And after using a cheaper 4" belt with 6" wheel for years before this, I can only say that this is the rolls royce to tmy old fiat 126!!!

I looked at the Record and SIP (at Aminster show last year) and neither are any better than the Axminster, and in areas, the Axminster is slightly better than both of them in my opiion.

One highly chuffed owner!

It looks like I will be going for the 10"/6" Axminster, Cheers Tony.

The stand is free at the moment on the big !0"/6" Axminster sander at the moment so it would be daft not to take it ;)

Hi frugal

I have the Record BDS250 and I love it. However the big Axminster looks exactly the same and a free stand as well and for a lot less money.
I would advise getting the Axminster.
Hope this helps.

John

I ordered the big Axminster yesterday. It turned up today when I was out at work and is currently sat in my neighbours garage. Apparently he took kindly on the deliveryman who was about to do himself an injury ;) It turned up on a palette apparently.

I can't wait until tomorrow when I can get my grubby little paws on it :twisted:

I just bought one of the Axminster 12" disc sanders (Axminster white DS12DL 300mm £142.40 in the sale) to replace my home made one whose motor got a bit dodgy.

Have today mounted it on an mdf cabinet and wired in a cheap Earlex vacuum in the line to the motor so it turns on at the same time.

Am very happy with it.

colin

Hi Everyone.

Both Record Machines, BDS150 & BDS250 come with mitre fences.

All Record Power Machines have a 5 year Guarantee. Well worth considering when looking at new machines and prices.

BDS150 £89.99 Inc Vat
BDS250 £249.95 Inc Vat (Also includes free leg stand)

Latest posts

Back