Bench Rebate Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangermouse":2lawqc35 said:
I purchased a Fathfull no10 carrage plane new, as it was on offer and ultra cheap, expecting it to be rubbish. But on taking a straight edge to it found that it was within British standard of 3 thou and the sides within a few thou too. So after a bit of fettling of about an hour it became a very good plane. The blade shapened up well and cuts fine, although its not up to LN quality, and I'm thinking of putting in a thick blade from Ray Iles, the Replacement Carriage Maker Plane Cutter Ref: RI001, costs around £18 to £20.

100_3731.jpg
Hi Dangermouse.

What is the frog-to-body mating arrangement? Stanley stuck to their earlier cantilevered frog arrangement on their bench rabbets (10, 10¼, 10½) when they updated the arrangement on all their standard bench planes to the current stepped "Bailey" type. Record fitted the stepped "Bailey" type frog to all their bench rabbets (010 & 010¼). Lie-Nielsen went for a bedrock frog on their No.10¼. So the latter two manufacturers used their standard No.3 frogs on their rabbet range.

What does your Faithful have (does it copy the Stanley arrangement Faithfully #-o :lol: )?

Cheers, Vann.

I have a Faithful No.7 plane and I'm very pleased with it. I took a little time to flatten the base (an hour or so), and since then I've been really pleased with it. It's really good for jointing board. I don't think I'd buy a No.4 or No. 5 from Faithful as there are so many good second hand example at around the same price. But for planes that are otherwise pricey I think it's worth a punt.

the trouble with the low-cost toolmakers is consistency and quality control. It's always possible to get a good one, all-too-common to get a bad one.
An interesting point. I bought 2 new Silverline #4s in the same order. I am happy with, and use, both but they are different. Not in ways that affect their use but the difference is noticable and measurable. Variations could lead to problems, although they haven't in my case.

Looks pretty good in the photo anyway, for what that's worth. At about 1/3 the price of a 2nd hand Record 010, I might be tempted to take a chance. If so, I'll let people know what it's like.

Thanks for the replies so far, everybody.

I guess the question I'd have for you, because I've bought just about anything I even had a bit of curiosity for, is figuring out where you'll use one of these.

I had the LN version. Everything I imagined it would be good for, it wasn't really. It looks like it will be useful based on the iron going all the way to the edge, but these close type cuts are either wide and thin shavings or narrow (like cleaning up a rebate, or whatever it might be).

I bought the LN version from someone who never managed to use it at all, and I didn't manage to plane more than a couple of hundred feet with it. Maybe the double iron would make it a good plane for cleaning up facets on a fielded raised panel, but I never got there. In the end, it went to the same place as the LN 140 -to ebay.

I have a Faithful No.7 plane and I'm very pleased with it. I took a little time to flatten the base (an hour or so), and since then I've been really pleased with it. It's really good for jointing board. I don't think I'd buy a No.4 or No. 5 from Faithful as there are so many good second hand example at around the same price. But for planes that are otherwise pricey I think it's worth a punt.
I took the punt as I spotted Toolchimp are selling them at £32.57. I'm pleased so far.

After reading some of the reviews I thought I'd check all the screws as someone was complaining that the frog screws where cross threaded. One of mine is a little tight, but doesn't appear to be damaged.

The sole looks pretty flat on first look, though probably a little flattening wouldn't hurt. Also one side isn't quite square. So a little fettling is in order I think. But at this price I'm happy to do that.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_090119125.jpg
    IMG_20221007_090119125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I got to use my Faithful No. 10 in anger today to shave a couple of millimeters off a door frame. It worked a treat and cut lovely even shavings. It cut right into the corners as you'd expect. I found I had to give the chip breaker a little more work as initially I was getting some jamming. However, a little work at the diamond stones fixed that.

I'm really pleased with it. Definitely a good addition to the tool chest.

I saw a fairly modern Stanley in a flea market a few days ago, complete with fence. I don't really need such an item and they wanted 90 euro for it so I decided to pass.

Back