Bench Legs and Castors which are too big!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning on making myself a very simple bench in the coming weeks. I've bought some low quality timber (75 x 75 and 50 x 100 PSE).

I've also bought some castors which have a top plate of 105 x 80.

So, my 70 x 70 and 44 x 94 pieces are generally too small for the castors.

Any recommendations on how to get over it? Laminate some of the 44 x 94s together? Buy different castors?

I will rebuild at some point in the future, but I would like something in place fairly quickly.

Cheers

Castors on a bench sounds wrong to me.
a bench is usually something that does not rack or otherwise move
Build it ignoring the castors and see how you get on.

Workshop is too small. I need the flexibility to move it out into a bigger area. They're lockable and rated highly enough for the weight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You could wrap some appropriately sized timber around the feet to match the caster size [like a shire horse], as long as the centre line of the leg runs through the centre of the caster. Otherwise just beef up the entire leg to suit, though I don't think there'd be any benefit.
Considering lurker's valid point perhaps you could build in a mobile base type mechanism, so that when you're not moving it it stands on it's legs? There are lots of methods to choose from/adapt.

By your own admissions, its a mark 1 version and its low grade timber. Who cares what it looks like? screw some extra bits of wood onto the legs to make it up to the size of the plate other wise you will rip your feet to pieces on the overhangs.
Get the thing built. Use it, work out what is good and what is bad, and start designing the mark 2.

Or else you could take a hacksaw to the mounting plates and then drill some new screw holes.
It works ok with the castors I am imagining!

Based on experience, try to avoid putting wheels on a bench. Planing, chiseling mortice slots, cutting dovetails or tenons - a heavy and stable bench is your friend. If you really must have castors, just put them on two legs, not all four, and lift one end to move it around. Or fabricate a fold up arrangement that enables you get the wheels out of the way, so that the legs are solid when the bench is in use.

Back