Bench Chisels... The best ones are..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Bench chisels?

• Barr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lie-Nielsen

• Ashley Iles

• Total voters
It has already. F&C did a pretty comprehensive test a while ago of chisels ordinaire but I seem to recollect that no oriental offerings were included. I think that the mag did a good review of Jap chisels a bit later - Rob

Nice one :) Do you know which mag it was? As college have loads of back issues i can browse through. Cheers :D

David Charlesworth did a pretty comprenhnsive review of japanese chisels in F&C No89. The very detailed review took place in issue No 79 and the in depth technical review was in issue No 80. Best on Test with the top 5* were the 'Two Cherries' brand from William Schmitt...no LN chisels tho' included in the tests - Rob

White House Workshop":50llnuog said:
As Ashley was my uncle I have to vote for him :) I do have a number of his carving tools and some of them haven't been resharpened since the day I bought them, and they've had a lot of use! The ones I have really do hold an edge, and that's enough for me. Unlike my old 'Footprints' that are forever in the honing guide.... but they would last longer if SWMBO didn't use them for purposes for which they were never intended :evil:

Well my Footprint ones hold an edge better than the AI chisels I had (and I tried to sets) - but no option for Footprint on Dan's list ;)!

If I had the money it'd be the LN's - 'cos they look nice and they are bound to be good. However I can't bring myself (for the moment anyway) to spend that much on chisels.

Cheers

Gidon

I haven't any experience of LN , two cherries or AI (apart from a couple of his carving carving chisels). The only chisel I have above 1/2 inch are those that are in the Lidl set :shock: They suffice for my needs. I do have a few smaller old Marples Boxwood chisels that I rate very highly.

my japanese chisels are remarkable and easily come to hand i think. i have found old chisels to be variable some so soft they wont take an edge others very hard but generally good with a nice feel. im also a fan of plastic handled stanleys, modern ones as they are great for general "fitting" stuff(with a hammer) and stay nearly sharp for a long time and are very simple to sharpen they also have quite a thin section which is nice. irwin chisels are quite poor. of the choices i have tried the lns are great and very well finished.

I can only vote for the Ashley Isles chisels as I have no experience of the others. I have two AI Bevel Edged chisels and I really like them, although they could be finished a little better. I haven't given them a good thumping yet though!

Bob

If you can access FWW online there are lots of reviews there on chisels. Also FWW No. 139 did a major review of 17 brands - the Japs came out tops for durability but see the articles conclusion below:.
There is no denying the durability of the steel in the three topscoring
Japanese chisels: White Steel, Blue Steel and Iyori. The
blades on these chisels were still sharp, and the blade of the White
Steel chisel could still shave hair from my arm after the hammer
blows. All of the other chisels, good and average performers alike,
had rolled and/or chipped edges after the hammer blows.
I'd caution you against rejecting a certain brand of chisel just because
it didn't do as well as some of the others in the toughness
test. None of the chisels I looked at are junk. The difference between
similarly ranked chisels is miniscule. When you're considering
buying a new chisel, its balance, its cost and how it feels in
your hand are important. If one chisel's blade is not as tough as another's,
all that ultimately means is that you'll have to sharpen it
more often. And ask yourself this: What's the point of buying a
chisel made of super-tough steel if it feels lousy in your hand?

Rod

Thats one of the things keeping me from picking one of these sets. the LN's are too small, the Barr's have those wretched hoops, and the AI's are just too long in the handle.

:?

dan

I have a few sets of chisels, vintage (Witherby and Berg) and new (Blue Spruce) but I keep returning to Japanese chisels. Iyoroi bench and slicks, and Koyomaichi dovetail (this after I recalled David Charlesworth saying good things about them). They are all just fantastic in edge holding and sharpness.

When I need detail chisels (paring), it is a joy to bring out the Blue Spruce. They are beautifully balanced and hold an edge forever. I preferred them to LNs for overall feel and comfort (e.g. they have longer handles).

If all I had were my set of Bergs I would not need anything else. They are wonderful as parers - long and thin blades. I did replace the short, hooped handles with long ones that are dedicated to pushing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

L.N are my favs ive also got A.I and they are nice odd handles and they take ages to flatten off but still good.

Ive also got 4 jap chisels witch are good, take a nice keen edge too.

while i was working at the joinery i got a set of marples traffic lights, they are ok chisels and are ideal for joinery and site work

I'll just have to find me a turner and have him/her make me a set of handles.

:p

dan

Back