Being hit by the rust bug this year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Went out to the workshop dodging the condensation puddles yesterday and find that rust is going to be a problem when I restart woodwork again in the spring. My new turning chisels have got a crust of rust appearing on the blades.
Got so many knick knacks these days that bringing them in to the living room over winter to keep dry. is not acceptable.

If I am leaving my hand tools for any period of time over the winter months, I apply a thin layer of spray 3in1 oil over
them. For my machines, I regularly apply Liberon Lubricating Wax anyway. Has always prevented the rust for me.... :D
I picked up a dehumidifier (reduced from £149 to £60) from B&Q a year or so ago and leave this running constantly in
the roof space of my double garage. A length of garden hose attached to it removes the water out through the garage
roof into a water butt for use on the garden.

Get some silica gel, the kind that changes colour when saturated. Lightly oil your tools and put them together with a few silica bags in a strong plastic bag. If properly sealed, the bag will remain completely dry inside for the whole winter. Just to be sure however, you can periodically check the silica for colour change in case your bag it's not entirely airtight. Silica can be restored by drying it in the microwave if required.
I've had terrible problems with rust before but this has worked wonders for me.

Back