Beginner :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anazoth

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm a complete beginner and need some help in where to begin. By beginner, i mean i've never made anything at all in my life.

I've decided i would like a hands-on hobby that will be useful in the future and keep me entertained. I need some advice in where to begin, i've had a look at the sticky threads which have a lot of awesome stuff on them, but i am still finding it hard where to start.

I want to start with the basics and work my way up so for now, no lathing / metal work etc. I don't have a large stack of great tools but i'm willing to invest and put a lot of time into this hobby :D

What would you recommend as a beginner project? Also, what was your first project?

I would make a simple lidded box out of solid wood. Pine probably which is forgiving on the tools, but good quality pine. Read a decent beginners book and pay particular attention to the method behind the joints, any glues or fixings. If you have a hinged lid, you'll get a taster of hardware which will be a challenge.

Don't be afraid to ask here for advice and feel free to post pictures.

That project will cover all the basics of hand tool wood working and will give you something useful at the end. Don't make it too big because you want to practice wood working not be wrestling with oversize scale.
Best of luck :)

Anazoth":zqluirz4 said:
Hey everyone, i'm a complete beginner and need some help in where to begin. By beginner, i mean i've never made anything at all in my life.

I've decided i would like a hands-on hobby that will be useful in the future and keep me entertained. I need some advice in where to begin, i've had a look at the sticky threads which have a lot of awesome stuff on them, but i am still finding it hard where to start.

I want to start with the basics and work my way up so for now, no lathing / metal work etc. I don't have a large stack of great tools but i'm willing to invest and put a lot of time into this hobby :D

What would you recommend as a beginner project? Also, what was your first project?

If you can, find an instruction course - either private, or via the local adult education service.

This will get you access to both instruction, a "taster" of what woodwork is about, and access to a range of tools that would cost you a great deal to buy in one hit.

BugBear

Thanks for all the tips.

I wanted to attend a course at my local higher education campus but due to my work patterns (4 on, 4 off, days and nights) It's really impossible for me to attend without missing classes.

Save up and book a course with some of the professionals on this site, you will learn much quicker being shown how to do things correctly and safely.

I wish I had done that years ago.

BH

Have a think about what you want/need. That's generally how I come up with project ideas.

For example, the OH had a horrid glass chopping board, which she agreed to part with it if it was replaced with a wooden one - hence she got a wooden chopping board (made by me) for Xmas.

Also, we disliked the fire surround in our living room, so I'm currently making a replacement.

Hope that's of some help, good luck with whatever you do decide to make.

Many people on here, myself included, have been highly influenced by Norm Abram (The New Yankee Workshop). His show is currently being repeated on Quest on Freeview so might be worth a look. During the day so you may have to record it if you can.

Some will disagree with some of his methods but there is no escaping the influence he has had on thousands of woodworkers the world over.

Watch YouTube. Be sensible about safety though as some people are just silly, but you can pick up a lot of tips and ideas online.

Hope that helps,

regards

Brian

I got started by viewing the videos found at startwoodworking_DOT_com. If you click on the video link on the extreme right of the menu you'll fins 3 series of videos for the beginner.

There's some nice beginner projects (with plans) for you to try and it's all free.

Welcome to the forum!
As already suggested, making a box is a good exercise which will incorporate many techniques and teach you a lot. However, for a complete beginner, it maybe a bit overwhelming.
So maybe start off with something a bit more simple, such as:
Bird box - not much too it, but gives you a feel for working with wood and you could incorporate finger joints if you wanted to.
Bird Table - the base would be a good solid half lap joint to have a go at, and the rest is fairly simple.
Tea light candle holder - not a lot at all to this, but again, gives you a feel for working with wood.
Picture frame - Basic mitre joints or half laps...

Hope that gives you some ideas... :)

making a box sounds like a difficult project for your first ever thing to make. the very first thing you should make is a slightly shorter piece of wood. get a piece of planed 2x2, mark on 2 adjoining sides at 90 degree to edge, and then cut with a hand saw along the two lines. this may sound ridiculous, but making a cut with a hand saw for the first time can be difficult (think back to the first time you cut a bit of wood, you may have been 5 or 50) after this learn different joints half lap dovetail etc.

on the other hand giving yourself a project like a box to make will cover a lot of bases, and will teach you many a lesson along the way, doing something wrong and getting annoyed at it generally means you won't do it again.

go and speak to someone at the night class and see if they think it would be a problem for you to miss some classes, it may not matter as much as you think. if not books are invaluable, some of the videos on you tube are ok but some are awful, including some "unusual" techniques. if you can wait a few years i'm planning a book series, tv show and Hollywood movie on woodwork beginners. until then good luck and enjoy

Back