Beginner Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Really a bit clueless to be honest...Sorry !

Now I've got some chisels, a table saw and a pillar drill I want to make something :lol: Ultimate goal is to make some jewellery boxes as gifts later in the year and a coffee table & a media/Tv stand.

I don't feel I'm anywhere near ready to jump into these yet so looking for some suggestions of something I could have a go at first ? And what should I be making it out of ? practice on pine or should I just another type of wood first ?

Also does anyone know of a good place to order timber by post ? I've found that most places locally are only open 9-5 and early Saturdays all of which I cant get to, leaves me with B&Q or wickes :/ I ideally need to get planed at the moment although I am looking for a planer / thicknesser.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Bigbud, I'm in the same boat as you are, although I did allot of woodwork at school (15 years ago) you forget most of what you have done. I went around today looking for wood, I also want to make a TV cabinet, but first need to get some practice. I bought a rocking horse plan online last week, that is also in the pipeline. As Marcros said, workbench also a nice project.

Not a project, but if you are inexperienced I would strongly suggest you try to get some training on tablesaw safety, or at least get one of Steve Maskery's DVDs on the topic. A reasonable planer thicknesser will be a big asset - in fact I would place it way ahead of a tablesaw - because it will give you a much greater range of timber options and help ensure you start any project with straight and square stock which is a huge plus when you are starting.

Jim

Steves DVD's would be a good investment. A good bench an excellent first project. Where in Manchester are you?

Hi Bigbud and Van,
I feel the same, I would love to make some real furniture but don't have the skills yet. I sometimes browse through woodworking magazines with their plans for a bow fronted dresser or whatever, veneered and carved, then inlaid with contrasting stringing etc, and I think "Never. Never in my lifetime, or what's left of it, could I make amything approaching that".
My first construction project will be workshop storage units. It won't matter if I make mistakes on them and I can use pine, pallet wood or plywood. That could be a possible starting point for you guys. Or perhaps a tool chest? Then go on to make a workbench (not quite the right order of things I know, but I hope it will work for me).

K

My first couple of projects completed (that being an imporant distinction :) ) were palletwood and salvaged fence board planters - no fancy joints, just glued screwed and nailed - but I did have to make sure all the ends were cut straight for the framing.

My kingsize bed was surprisingly easy, considering how complicated it might first look - jigsaw for the shaping, a very simple "frankenrouter" setup to mill the T&G slats and grooves for said slats (a section of flat plywood with a hole in it and the router bolted to that and a makeshift fence, pictures here: http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Rafezetter/library/Woodworking Related - General?sort=3&page=1) - the rest is all straight cuts and lots of sanding with a belt sander (i'd advise buying a better quality one - the 2 ..no 3 B&Q cheapo's I've had aren't made for anything more than basic DIY.) Most of the joints are simple butt joints - not even biscuited.

As I'm learning there are more ways to get certain things done without having to resort to buying a dedicated machine, just takes a little longer is all.

Jim,

As a novice I started by making some garden furniture where tolerances are not so tight as indoor furniture. Also I bought several second-hand woodworking books from AbeBooks - very cheap but very informative. I also subscribe to Rob Cosman's online tutorials which again I find very helpful.

John

graduate_owner":tgn03mgk said:
Hi Bigbud and Van,
I feel the same, I would love to make some real furniture but don't have the skills yet. I sometimes browse through woodworking magazines with their plans for a bow fronted dresser or whatever, veneered and carved, then inlaid with contrasting stringing etc, and I think "Never. Never in my lifetime, or what's left of it, could I make amything approaching that".
My first construction project will be workshop storage units. It won't matter if I make mistakes on them and I can use pine, pallet wood or plywood. That could be a possible starting point for you guys. Or perhaps a tool chest? Then go on to make a workbench (not quite the right order of things I know, but I hope it will work for me).

K

I started in my mid-fifties having never made anything more complicared than a fixed side doll'cot with the aid of a dowelling jig and within 5 or 6 years I was into really complicated stuff. The answer for me was training on a series of short course aat West Dean; a fantastic investment. There are so many people offering courses these days and you can learn so much so fast, it's a huge confidence booster and it really is worth it if you can afford it.

Jim

yetloh":123jtgxm said:
graduate_owner":123jtgxm said:
Hi Bigbud and Van,

K

I started in my mid-fifties having never made anything more complicared than a fixed side doll'cot with the aid of a dowelling jig and within 5 or 6 years I was into really complicated stuff. The answer for me was training on a series of short course aat West Dean; a fantastic investment. There are so many people offering courses these days and you can learn so much so fast, it's a huge confidence booster and it really is worth it if you can afford it.

Jim

I did look locally for some courses but didnt find anything :cry:

The work bench idea is great although it has got me wondering about my garage layout, I've got a 1.5x garage which house's two motorbikes and the rest of the usual rubbish. I've been clearing it out slowly but still have a way to go.

My first project when I restarted woodworking 20 years ago was a bed frame. Not overly complex, large joints, straight lines doesn't have to be fantastic. I bought PAR timber and didn't use any power tools. I was proud of it, still am though I can do better now.

Some of the first things I made were bookcases - they were really simple but good enough to survive several house moves until they got upgraded.

I just used salvaged wood from skips - softwood boards about 1" x 7" - which I cut to length. A pair of uprights had holes drilled through into the ends of the shelves to take some round nails. A nailed on back from hardboard made them strong and rigid.

Tools needed: saw; hammer; hand drill, tape measure; sandpaper.

That was 35 years ago - my projects have got a bit more sophisticated since, but I had the satisfaction of making something which I needed and which looked ok. (You mostly only see the front edges of the shelves!)

AndyT":1yalclzi said:
That was 35 years ago - my projects have got a bit more sophisticated since, but I had the satisfaction of making something which I needed and which looked ok. (You mostly only see the front edges of the shelves!)
That was exactly it for me. I needed some furniture in my first house and I wanted to make it. It has done it's job over the years and didn't cost me much.

as with all these things, yes I want to build a work bench. What do I need, Plane #check, glue #check, a million clamps #errNo I've only got two xD sash clamps are expensive :(

Ive got 30 meters of 28x28x3 SHS box section I need to try and make clamps out of now lol

Good for you for looking for genuinely beginners projects. I see too many potential woodworkers take on overly ambitious projects which never get completed or look a complete mess if they do. Net result, one frustrated disappointed potential woodworker who is now an ex-woodworker!

Stick to something small and simple, get basic tools only as required, and work your way up in measured steps from there.

Good luck!

Back