Beginner in woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I started off looking at something and copying it for furniture and getting a few of the books recommended on here for reference and background reading.
We have a nice coffee table that I duplicated for another room as a first project, just look at how the other one is made up and break it down into individual parts, job done*

*I say job done, but practice does make perfect, or at least better - some of the supposedly square angles on that coffee table came out less than square so get some good measuring tools :)

Since then I've knocked up a few tables, desks and the like, better each time and enjoying it greatly.

Hi George,

Welcome to the community! I, too, am a beginner to woodworking but have been on the forum for a little while now. I don't want to burst your bubble but I saw you mention about the creation of wooden toys for selling.

I've read on posts previously that due to UK Law, toys must be made and sold only in compliance with BS EN71 1 -3, as present in all areas of the construction industry. For reference you can pick up a copy from the british standards site, though it does cost (I did try to find a copy through my university online library but no luck!).

Anyway, good luck with a very bold career choice. I have several documents that pretty much show H&S compliance guidelines which i can email across to you - they're good for general knowledge, and a couple of documents on the use of MDF and plywood that I'm more than happy to share.

Best regards,
John

Welcome to the forum George.

If you wish to really get into Cabinet Making and have the funds for it. I would suggets some of the Furnitur Schools that offer the course and some Cabinet Makers themselves. I would wholeheartedly recommend out ver own Mr Peter Sefton (I have done a small course with him and I cannot fault his teaching in any way shape or form). He is based in Malvern (Worcs). I can also recommend again our own Dodge for 1 to 1 training (due to go under his wing in around 2 weeks time and local to me ish (Based in Diss in Norflok). The only drawback is money, with either of these training entities it will cost you. But I see it as an investiment for my future.

Therefore if I may suggest that you do a career plan, decide excatly what you want, do some research about training courses long or short, get the prices. Also build in accomodation, food costs and money for the basic tools and then go for it. Try not to be too hesitant. As already mentioned you may not make your fortune, but if you do well you can survive.

For me, I know I wont make a fortune, but it will bring me satisfaction and a good work/life balance; which isnt in my current role. Also I want good furniture in my home and that being said it will be good enough to sell or get commissions for.

Jelly":3mop44te said:
One thing WRT apprenticeships... Being apprenticed as a carpenter will not be anywhere near as beneficial to your intended pathway as being apprenticed as a joiner/shopfitter or better yet bench joiner...

Whilst there are lots of transferable skills between those roles and most professional woodworkers will do work in more than one field, bench joinery is rather more closely related to cabinetry, funiture and chair making.

I'd like to argue this slightly. I did a carpentry & joinery apprenticeship. Spent 3 months in college first working on the bench learning how to do woodworking joints by hand. Then spent 3 months out on site. Then came back and did site carpentry in the college rig area for a month. The rest of my time was spent in a joinery workshop with a return back to college for a few days every few months or so. After finishing the "carpentry & joinery nvq level 2" I was taken on full time in the joinery shop as a bench joiner where I worked for 5 years. Then moved on and spent 10 months with a bespoke furniture & shopfitting company. >prooving that you can do a carpentry and joinery apprenticeship and go into bench joinery and cabinet making! Just to add contrast to how skills can be transferred I am now working as a woodworking machinist manufacturing building panels for argiculture & construction.

it doesn't matter what route you take into this trade. Its the opportunities you take along the way.

joiner_sim":98v83aln said:
Jelly":98v83aln said:
One thing WRT apprenticeships... Being apprenticed as a carpenter will not be anywhere near as beneficial to your intended pathway as being apprenticed as a joiner/shopfitter or better yet bench joiner...

Whilst there are lots of transferable skills between those roles and most professional woodworkers will do work in more than one field, bench joinery is rather more closely related to cabinetry, funiture and chair making.

I'd like to argue this slightly. I did a carpentry & joinery apprenticeship. Spent 3 months in college first working on the bench learning how to do woodworking joints by hand. Then spent 3 months out on site. Then came back and did site carpentry in the college rig area for a month. The rest of my time was spent in a joinery workshop with a return back to college for a few days every few months or so. After finishing the "carpentry & joinery nvq level 2" I was taken on full time in the joinery shop as a bench joiner where I worked for 5 years. Then moved on and spent 10 months with a bespoke furniture & shopfitting company. >prooving that you can do a carpentry and joinery apprenticeship and go into bench joinery and cabinet making! Just to add contrast to how skills can be transferred I am now working as a woodworking machinist manufacturing building panels for argiculture & construction.

it doesn't matter what route you take into this trade. Its the opportunities you take along the way.

I started out backing off a giant double resaw in a sawmill and after a great number of twists and turns ended up in a totally different factory making bespoke windows... So yeah, I don't disagree that there are many ways in, but if you want to do bench work, better to aim for that and get it all sewn up; rather than hope the opportunities come your way.

In my subsequent experience doing my degree I've found that it really is important to be specific and driven about what you want to do, and aim directly for it, lest other forces push you into doing something you really don't care for!

Proper Planning Prevents [P**s] Poor Performance! and all that jazz!

My top tips after a few years involved in this bewildering, exciting, frustrating activity..

1) i'm gonna mention it so lookout.... Sharpening, work out a method that suits you! to get chisels, planes, saws etc sharp.
2) Accurate marking and measuring...even if you cut up bits of cardboard or practice on scrap
3) these in my opinion lead to - square & flat pieces of wood > components > finshed article...

Cheers! and enjoy...

jdgrace470":1c032tes said:
Anyway, good luck with a very bold career choice. I have several documents that pretty much show H&S compliance guidelines which i can email across to you - they're good for general knowledge, and a couple of documents on the use of MDF and plywood that I'm more than happy to share.

Best regards,
John

Hey John,
Thank you for the information i will PM you with my e-mail address...

After a quick look on the forum i`ve seen that there are some CNC machines for making wooden toys...that seems like a good option regarding time spent to make a toy and maybe for losing less material while making it... What do you think about CNC machines?

CNC machines are VERY expensive !

and beware the cheaper ones that claim to be routers / milling machines that are just glorified engraving machines.

Back