Been going to make a Whirligig for yonks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy could paint a wall and I'd still watch that on YouTube. I probably have actually.

Claymore":1mq5oydz said:
Martin you could get some metal bits from scrap yards or better still nick (naughty but they leave them cluttering the hedges so why not recycle them?) a few road signs (my mate used some to make a chopper bike many years ago and I airbrushed it for him.... many of the trikes made in sheds have bits of road signs for mudguards and panels)

Cheers
Brian

Best source for Angle Iron is the road signs, they just leave them everywhere :)

Can I ask where you guys source your wood, do you go skip diving for odds and ends or just purchase new?

thanks

technium":2a2g0e3p said:
Can I ask where you guys source your wood, do you go skip diving for odds and ends or just purchase new?

My local recycling tip will let you take as much wood away as you want. There is some great wood in old furniture.

All my woodturning stuff is donated or self-felled.

If I had to buy wood, I'd have a different hobby.

Thanks all, ive just emailed our local recycling center to see if they would allow me to collect wood as ours you chuck over a wall so would never special access so I doubt they will allow me but worth a try. Also I will look into the project places. Do you make a donation or get it free. Also you mention charity shops but arent the stuff they sell too expensive or are you on about their scrap wood items?

thanks

Colin

Well, the Zombie one is no more... Despite a good slathering of lacquer, the plywood blades delaminated to the point where one failed completely and the whole thing shook itself to pieces in the high winds recently.

Sooooo, I made a new one based on the 'Forever Grinding' whirligig by Anders S. Lunde.

This one only uses hardwood scraps, no ply or softwood anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqA4mAi_tJQ

... and the chickens seem to like it.

... and yes, he's sharpening a Stanley knife blade. :-D

I like that Naz, I must have a go at one of those animated ones. I rebuilt my girly wig last week and it's been performing great in this weekends wind. I also resurrected my bandsaw by making some new parts on the lathe. It cuts better, straighter and quieter than it did when I bought it, though that's not saying much as it was already about 20 years old. :)

Finished this one today. I HATE painting because I can never get it right.

100_6328.jpg

I like it! Is that one your own pattern? Nowt wrong with the painting, and even if it doesn't look like bird %^&* now, it will do when the birds have finished using it for target practice.

It was a picture I downloaded years ago. I think it was just a conceptual design and not an actual thing, I've scoured the web but can't find where it came from to credit it. :-(

Latest posts

Back