Been going to make a Whirligig for yonks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin.

Looks good. =D>
It's one thing that's also been on my to do list for a long time. :roll:

Chris.

Shame it broke. Have to say I really really like it ! it's on my list of many other things I'd like to make.

Coley

They can be very addictive. I've made a few and the best tip I can give you is make the next one wind-proof. :-D

NazNomad":39dwyrvu said:
They can be very addictive. I've made a few and the best tip I can give you is make the next one wind-proof. :-D

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, involving 'wind' and 'breaking', but luckily I can't think of it. :)

The propeller glued together OK but we haven't had even a slight breeze since, so I have yet to see it move, other than vertically.

Scrimper, I like that particular whirligig and it's one I considered making, but I decided to start simple. There's some say I stayed that way!

I was trying to video an old one of mine and decided to make this first ... it didn't blow over.

100_5810.jpg

... and the whirligig link ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3P0kUZISuo

It represents my love of The Walking Dead and I have replaced the 'traditional' axe with a meat-cleaver for personal reasons (long story, involving me, my meat-cleaver, a gang of trespassing travellers and a fleet of cars with flashing blue lights on top) :-O

Claymore":2hqr2utp said:
Brilliant guys love them all but for a moment I wondered why Martin was making Girly Wigs?

I'd love a girly wig! It'd keep what little sun we get off this bald head. :)

My whirly gig fell apart in the rain. I guess I used the wrong sort of glue. And the long piece ended up curved along the width, so the windmill was at about 30 degrees. A $&^%*(& wood pigeon tried to sit on one of the 'sails' and broke it off (glue problem again.) All in all, a complete disaster, but I learned something - I should stick to metalwork!

Cheers, Chris, I'll look out for some on my travels, though I had to buy some long drills yesterday for another job, so I'll be able to screw the next one together.

martinka":1yyv6otz said:
I should stick to metalwork!

Metal whirligigs, why not? I've seen pics use a bicycle wheel axle for the 'bearing' part... and being metal you can make 'em huuuge.

Latest posts

Back