Bed bolts, is grooving ok?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a bed, I am going to use the bed nuts like these from Axminster in the bed rails.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-bed-bolt-nuts-pkt-2-ax364429?sel=600907

With a hex headed bolt hidden in the bed leg. I will also use a shallow mortice in the leg to locate the rail.

Should I double up and use 2 bolts per rail? Rail will be 32x195mm.

Also can I groove the bolts into the rail rather than drilling them as I have no way of drilling a deep accurate hole in the end grain.

I don't understand, FF. How are you going to tighten up? How are you going to hide the bolt head in the leg?

I've done several beds and I do it like this:

Draw a normal hex nut, M12, into the leg and veneer over it with 3mm of the same timber. Chamfer the edges and it is truly invisible.

08 pulling nut.JPG

In the rail, rout a groove, rebate it both sides and fill on over the rebate to leave a 13mm square channel down the middle.

34 rod hole.JPG

35 rebate.JPG

Rout a pocket on the inside face of the rail to gain access with a spanner.

38 finished pocket.JPG

Use a length of M12 studding, screw it into the leg, feed it into the rail and tighten with a spanner.

40 assembled joint.JPG

It's very cheap, very strong and very neat. I commend this joint to the House.

Attachments

• 08 pulling nut.JPG
    08 pulling nut.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 34 rod hole.JPG
    34 rod hole.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 35 rebate.JPG
    35 rebate.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 38 finished pocket.JPG
    38 finished pocket.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 40 assembled joint.JPG
    40 assembled joint.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 129
I use Steve's method, except the studding screws into an insert on the inside of the leg so no need to mess around with veneer etc

Fat ferret":4c3y2dxm said:
Thank-you @Steve Maskery for your detailed reply. I will do it your way.

Can't quite see what stops the bolt from turning in the leg though?

It bottoms out on the veneer. That's why I use a good thick one. You could use woodmonkey's way, just as long as you are sure you won't pull out the nut.

No, you are right, they don't pull out. They are a pain to get in straight though. How do you ensure squareness? Last time I used them I used the drill press (not powered, obviously). It was good, if tricky work.
The advantage of using a good thick veneer is that I end up with legs which have identical book-matched grain to their visible front face. It's a bit of work, but it certainly isn't difficult.
In the pictures above, there is a layer of walnut between the body of the leg and the covering veneer. It's probably more than 3mm, actually, I no longer have the bed to measure it. Probably more than 6mm, come to think of it. But the constructional layer of walnut gives a line, just like stringing, all around the leg.

I've found you just need to be careful starting them off, once you've got the first few turns in straight you're golden.

Latest posts

Back