Bearings for Startrite 352 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
My trusty 352 has started to screech sometimes, can't see anything obvious and haven't taken it apart to see if there's play but I suspect the bearings might be worn.

Part numbers appear to be 6003-2RS which is a very common size ( 17 x 35 x 10 ) but there are hundreds of the bl**dy things available. I assume I'd want sealed type but which is best rubber or metal seals and what makes? They're pretty cheap so I'd rather fit reasonable quality and not have to repeat the job later.

Anyone done it and if so are there any issues? I've done a search on here but can't find anything so any advice would be most welcome.

cheers
Bob

Ours in work does that sometimes, It's kind of weird as it comes and goes but it's a horrid noise and does need sorting.

I buy my bearings from https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ but there are a few other good ones like https://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/ or https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/

I personally try to only buy SKF bearings as they're super good quality, and always rubber seals. I'm not sure where a shielded bearing would be more advantageous over a rubber seal but with the amount of dust created by a bandsaw definitely go for the RS.

Never buy the most expensive or the cheapest.
Mine makes a noise if the brush on the bottom wheel is not adjusted correctly.

Pete

Thanks fellas
I've been so busy I haven't had time to look properly but when it does screech it's deafening. The noise seems to be from the bottom half of the machine but as it's intermittent the brush suggestion makes me wonder so I'll look at that tomorrow. I am puzzled as when bearings went on my router it was constant and obvious.

If it is bearings they seem to be only about £4 each.

Where are they Tom? I've never noticed any on mine and the downloaded instructions just say clean and lubricate as required.

Trevanion":gt7bp82m said:
Ours in work does that sometimes, It's kind of weird as it comes and goes but it's a horrid noise and does need sorting.

I buy my bearings from https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ but there are a few other good ones like https://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/ or https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/

I personally try to only buy SKF bearings as they're super good quality, and always rubber seals. I'm not sure where a shielded bearing would be more advantageous over a rubber seal but with the amount of dust created by a bandsaw definitely go for the RS.

Rubber seals add rolling resistance as they are in contact with both the inner and outer race. A shielded bearing (zz) is only in contact with one race and runs more freely and generates less heat due to friction. You'd normally find open or shielded bearings in motors for example.

Thanks for that Dave.
I have no knowledge when it comes to bearing specs just replace like for like on the very infrequent occasion when required.
Are zz bearings just as effective as rubber seals in respect of keeping out dust? Less rolling resistance sounds good to me though to put everything in perspective my bandsaw is probably 35 years old and unlikely to have had a bearing change to date. :)

Hi Lons,

Rubber seals (2RS) provide the best dust protection as they are in contact with both races.

Shielded (zz) provide some level of ingress protection but not as much as rubber seals.

Open bearings.....yeah....

For most applications 2RS will be fine.

Dave

Racers":fdzqerdj said:
Mine makes a noise if the brush on the bottom wheel is not adjusted correctly.

Pete

I'll agree with Pete on this one about the small brush. My 352 is over 25 years old..... and occasionally makes a screeching noise which is intermittent and loud. As well as adjustment, the small brush can get clogged with very fine dust which can induce a noise, so that it does need a clean now and then. On my machine it is fixed on a slotted bracket, so that its rub-angle is adjustable.

Easy way to find out is to catch it in mid-screech, then swivel the brush aside from the wheel and see if the noise persists.

Thanks again fellas
* Rubber seals it is if I need to change bearings

* I do regularly clean the brush and wheel tyres when I put a vac artound the innards to suck up escaped dust but it is a while since I looked at the bruch closely so might need adjustment, I could even have knocked it out of ilignment when cleaning.
On the job list for today!

In terms of bearing precision associated with dearer bearings, their use in bandsaw guides is a completely uncritical application. I buy the cheapest 2RS ones I can find usually 10 at a time on ebay and when one gives up, it is only a couple of minutes work to swap it over and readjust.

phil.p":2ohitqje said:
He isn't speaking of guide bearings though. I agree on the guide bearings - I paid about £4 for ten and I've not destroyed one of them yet.

Oops my mistake. Wheel bearings will be rotating at quite low speed and so 2RS will be fine and i'd go for a mid priced, known make.
Certainly NEVER buy manufacturers spares as these will be far more expensive than they need to be from other sources.

I got stuck in this morning with a full clean up, removed the guides as well and while in there sealed up some of the gaps for dust extraction a little more.

Wheel bearings look perfectly ok to me with no noise, can't feel any play or roughness, wheel tyres quite reasonable and clean and the brass cleaning brush seemed clean and ok as well. I normally just vac that clean and adjust it a bit if necessary but in light of advice from Pete and Argus I took the brush off its' bracket. Yep very clean but stuck right in the middle was a small bit of 1/4" ali tube presumably from some I'd cut months ago.

I would never normally have found that and the bandsaw is now running sweetly as it should so hopefully its sorted.

That's another lesson learned so thanks again for all the imput fellas, much appreciated and I'll remember the advice on bearings as well just in case. =D>

cheers
Bob

Latest posts

Back