Battery power rating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the batteries on my old Bosch drill is now kaput and I want to change it. I have seen some cheap replacements on ebay but the Ah rating is 2 whereas the rating on the old battery is 1.5Ah. What I want to know is would this be detrimental to the drill or is it ok to use the 2Ah battery?
Thanks in advance.
Andy

The Ah refers to the capacity of the battery, so how much charge it holds (and therefore how long the drill will last before needing a recharge).

Getting a larger or smaller Ah won't affect the 'power' of the drill. So it's fine to get a 2Ah or higher :)

Yes, I've replaced several DeWalt 14.4 batteries with higher capacity off ebay with no issues whatsoever, just make sure your charger is capable but see no problems tbh.
Whether any better than the originals I'm not so sure about but at a fraction of the original prices its a no brainer really

Bob

That looks like a viable option Mike. Have you used them at all? I've got a stack of battery drills with u/s batteries and grudge paying more for new ones than the tools cost, but it also pains me to throw away perfectly serviceable tools.
I've tried the cheap eBay replacements with mixed results so might give this a shot.

Not tried it yet but plan to do so in a couple of weeks time. I have 3 Dewalt batteries and 2 Makita one to try out. I might go onto ebay and buy a dud Makita battery to make it 3 each. Had a look a few weeks ago and can pick up one for under a tenner which is much better than the price for a new one. I plan to get them uprated as well so the charge lasts for longer. The two drills are in good nick so I don't want to buy new ones so this is the option for me.

Mike

Thanks for the info chaps, I have previously got a couple of replacements for a different Bosch drill but they were the same rating as the ones they were replacing, they were Chinese and posted from China and eight months down the line they are still good and the price was right. The cell replacement route would be three times the price as a replacement battery and more than the drill cost me so based on my previous experience I think I may go the battery route.

Andy

Latest posts

Back