Basic skills and ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the work, but question the design. He apparently put a lot of thought into mobility by using through tenons and wedges, but defeated this by locking the legs into the table top.

The apartment I rented in Augsburg came with an oak table similar to the one in the video, but with wooden wedges and no bowties. The table was too heavy to move around easily, so I assume that is the reason it had survived so many tenants. However, the table was designed so the top could be separated from the legs with enough strong backs if anyone wanted to move it down three flights of stairs. The table remained in the apartment when I left.

not sure I like the brass, it's too blingy for my tastes other than that I like it.

No ear protection, no dust extraction or mask, no protective gear when using the chain saw. He may be skilled but how long will his hearing and health hold up. An all too common example of terrible practice on Youtube, I know many on here will immediately recognise all of this but what about beginners?

Jim

No ear protection, no dust extraction or mask, no protective gear when using the chain saw. He may be skilled but how long will his hearing and health hold up. An all too common example of terrible practice on Youtube, I know many on here will immediately recognise all of this but what about beginners?

Jim

completely agree, it's important to protect your lungs and hearing, health and safety often goes out the window when filming stuff.

I appreciate the work, but question the design. He apparently put a lot of thought into mobility by using through tenons and wedges, but defeated this by locking the legs into the table top.

The apartment I rented in Augsburg came with an oak table similar to the one in the video, but with wooden wedges and no bowties. The table was too heavy to move around easily, so I assume that is the reason it had survived so many tenants. However, the table was designed so the top could be separated from the legs with enough strong backs if anyone wanted to move it down three flights of stairs. The table remained in the apartment when I left.
I wouldnt say it is about mobility at all, more like a design feature along with the ability to tighten up joints seasonally.

I wouldnt say it is about mobility at all, more like a design feature along with the ability to tighten up joints seasonally.

That's certainly possible, but my experience with similar construction in Germany is the design is for mobility. My wife has two Schranks (German free-standing closets) that use a similar design of pegs and through tenons. The Schranks become the craftsman equivalent of flatpack furnishings when it's time to move.

Like that one,bit ott on the size of the Dutchmen but they looked good (y) . The cat and dog at the end was a bonus:)

No ear protection, no dust extraction or mask, no protective gear when using the chain saw. He may be skilled but how long will his hearing and health hold up
I think he's Russian. Life expectancy isn't something they consider much in Russia. He'll be lucky to make 60, whether he wears a mask or not. I'm only going by the alphabet - he could be Ukrainian or Bulgarian or similar, but the same applies.

I like the proportions very much, but also not a fan of the bling. And someone needs to buy the man a thicknesser/planer.

One would think that you would protect yourself in order of importance, lungs, eyes, then ears. And yet you see the city workers generating giant clouds of dust cutting concrete and the like wearing only ear protection.

I like that jig he pulls out at 1:05. I made a jig like that before I could afford a thickness planer. The great thing about those is you can make them as wide as you need. Hard to think of an easier way to flatten and thickness a plank that big.

Wish I could wield a chainsaw like that.

Indeed, he seems impossibly good with that chainsaw. I suppose the laser line is the trick. Looking down from the top, you keep the blade straight by aligning it to the laser right to the bottom.

Spear and Jackson offered a handsaw with a laser in the handle a few years back which worked on the same principle. They were really popular...

predator.jpg

...or was that just what the sales flyer said?

Latest posts

Back