Bash inspired

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
As i said in my post on the Worcester bash, i`ve spent the day in the shop & after much sorting & tidying have come up with a decorative off centered bowl.

Made from chestnut burr, this is a lovely bit of wood that i`ve looked at in the wood pile for quite a while wondering how to do it justice, hopefully you think i have :lol:

Finished size is 10" x 3" & it still needs a couple of coats of lacquer.

offsetbowl010.jpg

offsetbowl011.jpg

Couple of WIP photos on my blog.
http://mrturnerswoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

Nice work Doug,

I've also spent the afternoon on the lathe but mine didn't turn out that good so there'll be no pictures :)

Cheers Steve

Is that the same bean tin Doug - obviously no tool kit should be without.

Nice bowl though, even from a non-turner.

light, subtle, airy and well finished; found the wip on the blog interesting too. thanks.

By the look of that piece I think you need to have a clear-out more often, great accentuation of the woods natural beauty.

Very nice. I too spent the afternoon in the workshop. My time was not so productive: I went through the bottom of a bowl trying to clean up a punky bit of spalted beech; and almost took the top of my finger off when regrinding my skew to put a radius on it ;)

It'll be interesting to hear how many people went home and ground a radius on their skew.

Si.

knappers":1omazej8 said:
It'll be interesting to hear how many people went home and ground a radius on their skew.

I must confess that I went home and thought "I know I have seen that before?". So I got down the Ashley Isles catalog from 2009, and there they were radiused versions of both the flat and oval skew ;) So it definitely is not a new idea. Now I need to try it out and see if I can make it work without Chris looking over my shoulder ;)

Yes that's basically it John, we saw Chris Eagles demo it on Saturday and I must say it was very effective.

Steve :)

Jonzjob":1gkyfl8e said:
knappers":1gkyfl8e said:

Si.

OK Si? More detail needed here for us POOR expats pretty please!! Radius, skew? Is it what I think it means as in not a straight cutting edge on the skew?

It is indeed. It was promoted as the Alternative Skew. Chris Eagles demonstrated it and explained the curved radius, with the highest point being the tip, avoided the pressures being such as to get away with using any area of the Skew and not get a catch. Many of us had an incident free go. It seemed to work and yes I started my regrind.

Doug - nice bowl

I took mine with me and Chris kindly marked it up, halfway through regrinding it now, the bulk is ground away to the curve, now need to make an oval skew cradle for my grinder plate and grind the bevels.

Beautiful work Doug, a lovely piece of timber.

Yes, I have reground my skew, I had a duplicate Record skew with rounded edges. It now has a pronounced radius just like Chris's.

I spent yesterday digging out my workshop, buried under the residue from my last project, some boxes to hold the poles and canvas(though actually plastic) of our Woodturning clubs 4 x 8 m marqee.
I finally did a small turning job about 10pm.

Just not enough time, roll on retirement.

regards,

mikec

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated

Modernist":2ojilpvn said:
Is that the same bean tin Doug - obviously no tool kit should be without.

We do seem to be inundated with cans, :shock: this was more likely a sweet corn tin though :-k i can bring you some for your new tool chest if you like 8-[ :lol:

monkeybiter":2ojilpvn said:
Is the high gloss from the burnishing cream?

No, it won`t be burnished for a day or two, i`ve given it it`s final coat of lacquer tonight, but like to leave it to really harden before burnishing.

As for the skew, i`ve found an old Marples square sectioned one in the chisel drawer, so think i`ll give that shape a try, certainly looked to work well in Chris`s hands.

Cheers.

Back