Base for Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect Bob means Mark your reference face with a pencil then it doesn't matter a jot if the mortice is centred or not

Wuffles":71esvbe1 said:
Who doesn't do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But if you do do that, then as Bob says, you don't need a plate to centre the mortice

It's not about centring the mortise. The plate doesn't do that. The plate stops the very real drift of the factory thingy.

I have a domino, I have a pencil, I know how to mark up, i set the domino to the 20 on 18mm material, I probably get through 5000 dominos a year. Very very very very rarely do I get it 180 degrees out.

I can't work out why you need to spend dough on a plate?

No skills":1362eo6o said:
I believe their talking about drift in the height adjustment.

Surely it can only drift if it's not done up tight or the cutters blunt?

doctor Bob":1zxgegqu said:
No skills":1zxgegqu said:
I believe their talking about drift in the height adjustment.

Surely it can only drift if it's not done up tight or the cutters blunt?
Bob,

You might be lucky but lots of people have domino's where the fences slip even when locked tightly.

It's not just that I find it more stable using a plate ,then the original domino fence works as a more solid version of that add on plastic fence.

Also it doesn't need to cost money ,anyone could make a simple plate out of plywood or similar. It won't centre unless you shave one face off but centring isn't the point.

The reason some domino's slip is that the post where it locks is smooth. I have heard of people scuffing up the posts to give better grip.

As you say yours has been fine but others havent

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Oh I think I see what you're getting at. I've never had a problem with mine so hence I was under the same mystery as Bob as to what the issue is.
If you are using 18-19mm material then just ignore the fence and use the base referencing method, it is very accurate and just requires both pieces to be flat on the surface, I always clamp the material down and just apply pressure to the domino itself.
If you look up domino base referencing on YouTube then it should come up.
I like it because it's quick and right every time

I'm not the novice audience that you think you're addressing. Sorry.

You misunderstand me wuffles, I know you are not a novice which I why I was confused by your responses. No offence was intended, I was just trying to clarify what the issue trying to be resolved was, so I could try and offer a solution.
It's easy for the written word to be misunderstood as it's very difficult to convey tone

Adam9453":8pdh9x0a said:
You misunderstand me wuffles, I know you are not a novice which I why I was confused by your responses. No offence was intended, I was just trying to clarify what the issue trying to be resolved was, so I could try and offer a solution.
It's easy for the written word to be misunderstood as it's very difficult to convey tone

I'm a different type of novice:)

I'm getting confused. My issue is that I mark up two faces that I wish to domino. One face I cut whilst having the fence down and holding the knob. This would be into the edge of the wood ie the 18mm thick bit. I then have to cut into the side of the other piece of wood. Why I should do is still have the fence down and use the domino upside down to ensure I get a perfect joint. However I find that using the base plate is easier and I often seem to forget and do that and end up out by a couple of mm. If I had a base that centred the cutter for 18mm then I would be perfect every time. As I write this it strikes me that I could also cut the dominos in the edge just using the base and then my edge and sides would be aligned even if they were centred. I don't think they would be far enough off centre to matter ie leave a weak point on the edge. Thoughts?

Just seen Adam's response about just using the base - as I just realised above - makes sense!

Just for reference, I've ordered a fair bit from Seneca; their service and product is spot on and I had stuff arrive within three days of order.

The packaging was sparse but adequate.

That's good to hear as I just ordered the rts500 yesterday. I was wondering how long it would take to arrive.
I'm looking forward to trying it out as you've said its good

Adam9453":1mx742g5 said:
Hi,

I think as discostu started the thread, it would fair to give him first dibs on it. I think its a bit cheeky to sneak in and nab it out from under his nose martincox.

All's well that ends well.

doctor Bob":1mx742g5 said:
I have a domino, I have a pencil, I know how to mark up, i set the domino to the 20 on 18mm material, I probably get through 5000 dominos a year. Very very very very rarely do I get it 180 degrees out.

I can't work out why you need to spend dough on a plate?

I missed a lot of this yesterday as I was on a phone trying to keep up. But to be clear, I'm not suggesting the plate does anything for getting anything "right", it does mean you are referencing off the plate and not the base you have set your workpiece on, which eliminates the potential for error. The 180 degrees comment was a flippant remark about trying to achieve the miracle of routing the middle of a board that could be 17-19mm give or take, not going to happen. However, having it offset slightly does show up errors quickly when dry fitting.

Also (and I speak as a righty) it makes the DF500 more righty friendly as you're using it upside down and the hose isn't in the way, I've always moaned about the ergonomics of it, much to the delight of FOG members.

Perhaps it's just me.

Gidon has very kindly offered me his plate and I have accepted his offer. I hope that's ok with Martin.

DiscoStu":2a8wrmjt said:
Gidon has very kindly offered me his plate and I have accepted his offer. I hope that's ok with Martin.

It's only fair as you started the thread, imo you should have been automatically given first refusal.
As said above, all's well that ends well

Latest posts

Back