Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertybobbyboy

Reaction score
I am looking for a bandsaw capable of running 5mm and 3mm blades with a minimum depth of cut of 175mm.

Any advice please

I am looking for a bandsaw capable of running 5mm and 3mm blades with a minimum depth of cut of 175mm.

Any advice please
Will be interested in replies to this. Have been wondering about the Record Sabre 250, but online reviews are hard to find, and I’m not sure if the Axminster 1950b would be a better bet. Any thoughts?

u need to give us some idea of funds available......
remember u always grow into /out of ur machines.....
go for something that will do what ya want plus more.....
if u buy a qual machine u'll get ur money back if u wanna upgrade in the future....
supose it's diff to avoid a cheapo far eastern machine these days....
most bigger machine will do smaller jobs but a small wont do bigger stuff........

Will be interested in replies to this. Have been wondering about the Record Sabre 250, but online reviews are hard to find, and I’m not sure if the Axminster 1950b would be a better bet. Any thoughts?
I spoke to Record and they don't recommend any of their bandsaws for use with blades less than 6mm wide. I want the saw for cutting bandsaw boxes and need to cut tight turns. Anybody out there making bandsaw boxes?.

The Black Friday deal at Axminster stacked with the SAVETEN discount (hat-tip to frankendoodle65 for highlighting that this morning) made the decision for me. £303.47 for the AW1950b was too good a deal to pass up. Would have loved to get something bigger, especially with their current prices, but with the way I have my 7' x 9' workshop set up I really can't fit a 14" machine in.

I'll spend some of the saving on blades. Tuffsaw look good, but is there anyone better for a similar price?

Glad to be of service, I saw that discount code somewhere about a month ago and have used it twice already!

Tuffsaws get recommended a lot around here and I use their blades on my tiny record power bandsaw, I've always had a good experience with them but haven't tried any from anywhere else to compare.

Let us know how you get on with the new bandsaw, I'm hoping the AW2305B will be on offer at some point (absent from this sale unfortunately), looks like a slightly scaled up version of yours so any feedback will be useful for myself and probably anyone else eyeing up that range in future.

I looked seriously at the A2606B (£540 with the discounts) but it has a huge footprint and would take up most of my available floor space. Don't understand why the 2305 is not on sale this time, but maybe you will get lucky later on.

The small blade on a bandsaw need to be run carefully to save on breakage. Tuffsaw 1/8" blades are very good and having used them for many years specifically for bandsaw box making, they are ideal for those tighter cuts.

Ideally you could get a Carter Stabilizer, which I have used and as it replaces the traditional guides with a single ridged roller at the back of the blade, it runs nice and straight.
Alex Snodgrass has a good viodeo of the Carter Stabilizer and I used to add the following to a Bandsaw Tuning Page I put together
Carter blade Stabilizer - by Alex Snodgrass. https://youtu.be/w_tv7cm0-VU

This video shows how well a stabilizer works for smaller blades with the guide only above the table. I have one of these which works well. The back of the blade gullet is also on the center line on the upper wheel as per his usual advice. Product Range - http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-stabilizer
Hope that help

I believe you are looking at the wrong guide. Have a look at the video of Alex Snodgrass and you will see that it is nothing like the 1950b that I have just looked up. The stabilizer is a single unit that attaches in the same place as the normal guide but is a simple grooved wheel that the blade sits in. Just like the little blue units here - Carter Fine Blade Stabilizer - Gregory Machinery

Back